CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #41
Kevin Bruce

Profile:
Gary, please explain how glove size doesn't make a difference in the # of knockouts?

Are you saying that a given Boxer/MMA athlete would have a higher knockout percentage if they wore boxing gloves rather than MMA gloves?

If larger gloves aren't "safer" why then does both USA Boxing and Professional Boxing require heavier boxing gloves for heavier boxers (which in theory throw harder punches?)
Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #42
Timothy Cox

Profile:
Gary, I understand that. I actually got to watch the Cotto/Zab fight today, and MAN did it deliver, although I thought that stoppage was a tad early.

When I asked is boxing dead, I didn't mean that there were no more good fights at any time on any channel. I understand there are still good fights from time to time. But a sport is judged on their ability to deliver a product that lives up to the hype. Boxing has to start delivering on the big fights because thats what people pay good money to see.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 AM   #43
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Boxing gloves aren't considered more safe because they prevent people from being knocked out, thus they take more cumulative damage to the head.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #44
Rich Stackon

Profile:
"For the record I love both MMA and boxing, but honestly I believe MMA wil fade out. When MMA fighters stand up and exchange blows it awesome but those are rare fights, most of them end up on the ground. MMA stand up fights are awesome becuase they throw wild punches and that makes it entertaing, but those are rare. Most MMA fights end on the ground with a submission, most of the world hates this, espeically when they hype up a fight that ends in 30 seconds and we all paid for PPV."
I think that the problem is the majority of the population is still in a boxing mindset and really doesn't understand MMA, much less grappling and jiu jitsu. People like me, who enjoy and practice BJJ, love to watch the groundwork and understand it. But you're right, many people just get bored when the fight goes to the ground- I hear it from some of my buddies while we're watching the fights. But I am trying to educate them and they seem to be coming around.
I disagree 100% that you say MMA will fade out. Right now, you have many other spinoffs (Pride, IFL, K1 and Bodog Fight, to name just a few) on TV. Tapout even has their own show on VS right now (which I only saw one episode of-not bad, but could be better). You have the Ultimate Fighter on Spike, and the regular fights both on Spike and PPV. As long as it keeps getting promoted the way it is, MMA has nowhere to go but up. I see boxing fading out; MMA is the wave of the future. Once more people get informed about grappling and learn the technical aspects of submissions and takedowns, more people will tune in a follow it, and learn to enjoy it like I do. It's on an upswing right now, with no end in sight.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #45
William John

Profile:
MMA was big before and it was a lot tougher and more exciting then and looked what happened. It will fade out as soon as boxing gets exciting again. If someone like Tyson or Ali came into the sport right now it would be a lot more popular.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #46
Kat Campise

Profile:
MMA and Boxing can co-exist. I don't see the reason, or need, for one to fade out over the other. Those who practice BJJ, wrestling, Muay Thai...to name just a few, will tend to follow their sport. Not nec. to the detriment of another martial sport.

I watch both MMA and Boxing matches. The problem with me watching boxing matches is that I start to bounce around like a boxer in the Muay Thai ring, and this takes up energy that needs to be focused on my kicking speed/power (I know this applies to me specifically). It doesn't mean I won't watch boxing, or buy a PPV boxing bout.

I tend to get a little frustrated with all of the wrestling and BJJ that goes on in MMA BECAUSE that isn't a side I've explored yet (it will happen eventually). I like to pay to watch a good mix of stand up and ground fighting. I've seen boxing matches that s*** and MMA matches that s***. And I've seen both that have ROCKED!!

As more kids get involved in mixed martial arts (at my combat sports gym, there is BJJ, wrestling and muay thai for the kiddies) there will continue to be a legacy of support for MMA.

Having a new "Ali" isn't going to overshadow an interest in MMA, though it may support an increase in boxing fusion into the MMA gyms.

As a consumer and practitioner of a martial sport, saying that boxing is dead, or will die out, or saying that MMA will fade is just like saying that less people will swim competitively because of triathlons gaining in popularity.

Just my couple o' cents. :proud: