CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
Timothy Cox

Profile:
First of all, quoting Mayweather on this subject automatically grants you a slight loss in credibility on the subject. Mayweather also said MMA guys are the ones who couldn't cut it in boxing so they had to settle for MMA, yet won't back up his trash talk about MMA.

I fail to see how it's a fad. MMA is well on its way to being mainstream, just like boxing. In fact it's already there. You say MMA will fad out again. I don't ever remember it being in the position to fad out because it never really fadded in until recently. Before it was mainly an underground sport.

There's no comparison IMO. Boxing is watered down and one dimensional. If you call that an art form, then you're more than welcome to have that opinion, but it's boring in comparison to MMA, IMO.

Boxing has survived, yes, but money and politics have ruined it. That's the only thing I see that could ruin MMA.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #12
Adam Noble

Profile:
I don't know that it is dead dead, but it will have to reimagine itself as skiing did when snowboarding became a juggernaut.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 PM   #13
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Boxing is utterly one dimensional in much the same way that sprinting and weightlifting are one dimensional.

I prefer boxing. Likely I always will. Boxing will endure. Countries with thriving, vibrant martial arts cultures (such as the Philippines) still have plenty of room for pugilism. The business must reinvent itself (we may be seeing this with the rise of fighter-owned promotions) but the gentle art of self defense will live on as long as there are rathole gyms in rough neighborhoods.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:15 AM   #14
Timothy Cox

Profile:
I agree with both of you guys. For it to survive, and not survive in the NHL in the US kind of way, it will undoubtedly have to reinvent itself.

It's just hard to watch leg kicks, takedowns, light gloves, knees, submissions, etc., and get excited over lackluster fights with hand to hand combat only, constant hugging, and heavy gloves that rarely produce jaw dropping knockouts anyomore.

Boxing seems to be the sport of who can dance around the ring the longest without getting hit now. That technique doesn't work in MMA.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #15
James Besenyei

Profile:
Boxing as entertainment is dead however, the sport will survive. If it re-invents itself, boxing could see an entertainment revival, but that appears unlikely in the short term. MMA on the other hand is on the rise, and fights like Sanchez vs. Koscheck are the exception not the rule. In boxing this is turned completely on its head, and boring, uneventful, meaningless fights are the norm, where a fight may be a good lightweight battle but it means absolutely nothing for anyone involved, or it is the fight of the year and it flat out makes you want to bang your head against a wall (i.e. MW vs. ODLH). MMA has not even reached it's peak yet, the future seems very bright, and the fact that there could be some unification of titles between Pride & UFC bodes well for the sport.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #16
Wayne Sauve

Profile:
Boxing is not dead.

They just set a record for Oscar/Mayweather PPV. Just because MMA is on the rise does not mean the death of boxing.

In both sports, styles will make a good fight. It just up to the promoters to get it right.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
James Besenyei

Profile:
I think you make good points about styles & promoters Wayne, but I question the latter more in boxing than in MMA. You are also correct that MMA's increasing popularity does not sound a death knell for boxing, rather it only shows that MMA is becoming more popular when compared to its previous level of popularity. Boxing as entertainment however, has much to be desired, and I don't think that one well promoted and profitable pay-per-view event demonstrates that it is still a vibrant sporting event. IMHO.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #18
William John

Profile:
Like someone stated already boxing produces alot more money then MMA ever will. Boxing has a lot bigger fan base it is a classic unlike MMA, MMA fights can be stupid a fight ended in 30 seconds for a submission or a KO that happen from a weak punch ex Chuck's latest fight. Boxing is a classic, and I will be the first to admit that boxing is weak right now but it will thrive again. As far as people mentioning the gloves being big and soft for head protection thats false, they made those gloves to protect the fighters hand becuase thier punches are harder and hand injuries are a lot more frequent. I belive what Mayweather said about MMA fighters are the guys who couldn't cut it in boxing becuase I know most kids at my gym admit to taking up grapple because they can't take shots.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #19
James Besenyei

Profile:
Athletes choose MMA over boxing not because they couldn't "cut it" in boxing but because they would rather be challenged by a sport that is not one dimensional. MMA fighters can't take shots? O.K., then boxers can't fight on the ground, can't take submissions, can't take kicks, can't take slams or throws, and absolutely, positively can't claim to be well rounded fighters. I'm not trying to flame out here, but the argument that guys "get into" MMA b/c they can't box is ridiculous.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #20
William John

Profile:
I will be the first to admit that boxers can't grapple but I also believe it would be hard for a wrestler to catch a boxer with their fast hand and foot speed. I stricktly box and when I see some of these shots that knock out even down a MMA figher I am shocked. I'm not the best boxer in the world but I know I could dodge those shots and counter them.