CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Robert Dobo

Profile:
I have been thinking of taking up martial arts, Aikido to be specific, and was wondering what sort of experience others have had with it.

Any info is greatly apreciated,

Rob
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Robert Dobo

Profile:
PS: I am 28 with no martial arts experience.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
What are your goals? Self-defense? Just to have fun?

I have never done Aikido personally, but I doubt that it is really very effective. The reason is that if you look at what styles are represented in the reality combat competition like the UFC and Pride, where people really try to hurt eachother and any style is allowed to compete, you see that an aggregation of brazilian jiu-jitsu, amateur wrestling, muay thai, and american boxing is pretty much that only style that is represented.

Practitioners of arts like Aikido and various Kung Fu styles are not, not because they are not allowed, but because they have been proven ineffective a long time ago and it's not even possible for them to be good enough to make it to the big shows.

If self-defense is what you are after, your best bet is to find an MMA school, or brazilian jiu-jitsu or mauy thai school. If none of those are vailable, then boxing is your next best bet.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Except for the fact that many MMA and UFC have rules. Cannot do this or do that. If an assailant wants to kill you, they generally act within a moment's notice, not moving around. If they do the stand there and fight, they are pursuing an ego based conflict, though they still might want to inflict mortal harm. In self defense, there aren't any rules really. Well, except those laws about self defense and all; if you choose to follow them.
Aikido itself has 100 flavors. Some systems sport a more " on the street " approach while others go for the holistic, spiritual connection of the word, Aikido, itself.
More than likely this is starting a big can of worms since their is a heavy likin' for the MMA in the CF forums, but WTH discussion is discussion. I could post more, but I might want to save some for later.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Yeah, you can't headbutt, etc, in Pride/UFC, so let's not take that to be the be all and end all of self-defence. Also, he didn't really ask if it was the best MA there was!

I did Aikido when I was young and enjoyed the classes. We did a strange version, I think, because we had to learn how to do flips onto our backs and feet as well as all the throws, etc. It was a good class and though people will say that "oh it isn't tough" I bet none of them could have taken down our sensei. He was smooth as. It isn't taxing, either. You could do a WoD and then easily take an aikido class. But then, this is just the particular type I did. Give it a shot, can't hurt!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:04 AM   #6
Bill Ripley

Profile:
Robert,

What is the name of the school you are looking at?

BTW - The argument between styles that practice completely destructive technique in a controlled manner (ie Aikido, Karate, etc) and styles that practice controlled technique in a more competative manner (judo, BJJ, etc) is an age old one that will not be answered here.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:07 AM   #7
Robert Dobo

Profile:
The name of the school is Aikido Hiryukan. First of I just want to have fun and get some exercise, I have no desire to fight or compete. I have never taken a swing at a person in my life and I would like to keep it that way. UFC or Pride fighting are not in my future.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:22 AM   #8
Bill Ripley

Profile:
Well, it looks like Aikido Hiryukan is a Yoshinkan school. Yoshinkan was founded by Gozo Shioda, one of the true greats in Aikido history. Yoshinkan is well known as one of the more martially effective branches of Aikido. As a Nidan in Shinko Kaiten Aikido I would gladly study in that system. I say give it a go and most of all have fun.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Robert Dobo

Profile:
Thanks Bill :-)

I intend to do just that "give it a go and most of all have fun"

Rob
Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Justin Ritmiller

Profile:  
I studied for a bit a long time ago. It's fun, and at the higher levels can be pretty effective. It teaches an awareness of space, movement, leverage, all of which certainly don't hurt in a bad situation.
I didn't care for the strict traditions and dogma, but that's totally a personal preference.