CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
Albert Clayton

Profile:
What martial art would you study now, that you can practice and use effectively when you are in your 60s or 70s?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Bill Ripley

Profile:
A friend of mine got her Aikido Shodan at 60 and her judo shodan at 64. Depends on how rugged they are.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Your ability to stay stong is going to be the biggest factor, it doesn't matter how good your martial art is if your really fragile.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
In China a large part of the aging population studies Ti chi which helps sustain balance, flexibility strength, cartilage and connective tissues. In addition, a friend of mine told me that in China the greatest benefit comes after class when all the old people get together. The social contact keeps their aged population mentally well and in good spirits. The way to get over being frail is through diet and exercise. Martial arts is a good place to do that. I think it depends on the dojo, the instructors, and the students. I visited a facility last month and we practiced kicking, and the instructor said not to actually kick each other because no one would want to be your partner next week. This was too tame for me, but maybe the ticket when I have accumulated too many injuries in life’s progression to want to play hard.
I read a book last year on cartilage. It said with the beginning level program outlined in the book a 90 year old woman could take ten years of aging off the cartilage in 6 weeks. On the other hand the text went into great detail regarding over use aging your cartilage. So I guess the key is at whatever level of fitness you are in to try and stay in a band of being active, and not over active so you can stay in the game for life.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
Pavel Saenz

Profile:
Bjj, with its slow functional rolling can be fun and healthy. Loot at Helio Gracie!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi!
I just posted on the aikido thread that I will probably be doing aikido and tai chi in my later years when I stop fighting...

Although the majority of martial arts can be practised to some level until your later years...

One of the effective ones in later years, unless you have bone problems, is Wing Chun...

Echoing some of the above, there's a sign in one of the gyms I trained at...

'age doesn't make you inactive...inactivity makes you age...'

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
Old 05-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
A martial art with private lessons that can tailor the instruction to the needs (and strengths) of the individual.

Come to think of it. . . that applies to anyone in the martial arts, but especially to the elderly, or those with special needs.

I wouldn't throw Grandma in (at first) my CrossFit class with ten 40 something yr old whippersnappers unless they all wanted to go reeeeal slow.

And I wouldn't put Grandma in (at first) with same people in my Martial Arts class for the same reason.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Travis Hall

Profile:

i would find a place that taught verbal de-escalation skills, and attacker psycology. also various setup manuever's like geoff thompson's fence, or the passive stances incorporated by other street survial schools. a place that throws in all the classic 'dirty' moves and a bit a role playing couldn't hurt either.

but once you get really old, just invest in a gun.

t.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
David Ristau

Profile:
All good info so far. The 'art' itself doesn't matter much. It's the approach and the instruction. If you look around at some of the different clubs in your area you should be able to find one that has a program that caters to the mature set. Here in Ottawa 'Therien Jiu-Jitsu' {I know your not in Ottawa} has a nice lower impact program just for the 50+ crowd.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #10
Joshua Newman

Profile:
Actually, the best shiner I've ever gotten was from an 80-year old woman's right cross.

I was helping teach a women's self defense class, and we were working with focus mitts that evening to practice punching technique. This 80-year old was totally getting into it, and, in her excitement, crossed directly between the mitts, and clocked me in the eye. I think she must have put her artificial hip into it, and as I certainly wasn't expecting it, her punch almost dropped me.

For weeks after, I had the most perfect Rocky Racoon black eye I've ever had.

Friends would see it and ask, "bar fight?"

To which I'd respond, "no, old lady."