CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Chris Honnon

Profile:
In the morning the gym I go to tends to play either "golden oldies" or 70's AM radio hits ("If you like Pina Colada's, and getting caught in the rain...").

Personally I prefer to get my adreneline going with a little Hatebreed, Killswitch Engage, Zeppelin, Dropkick Murphy's... I went out and bought an iPod but found that the headphone wires just get in my way most of the time so I am now sitting here humming the "Pina Colada" song as I type this message <sigh>

I thought it would be fun to see what other CF'rs listen to. What gets you ready to hit "Annie" or psych up for that next CFT? If it's 70's AM radio hits I know the gym for you!!

Chris
Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Roark Marsh

Profile:
I think I'm usually deafened by the sound of me trying to catch my breath. My gym runs an odd mix of 90's to today that I find myself unconsciously humming on occasion though.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
I had the same Ipod issue and to combat the problem I simply tuck the Ipod down my shirt neck at the back and keep it tucked under my shirt in my waist band. Very easy and no more headphone wire in my way.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Andrea Vause

Profile:
I'm with Steve -- I run the wire up my shirt & that mostly works. What gets me going? NIN, Madball, STP/VR, Clipse, Foo, Faithless, old Wutang, Thornley, Fugazi.... there are so many.... it depends on the day.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
Chris - I like to listen to the same stuff as yourself, minus the Zepplin, add Nine Inch Nails, AC/DC, Pantera, Metallica, Ice Cube, old school 80's and 90's rap and hip hop, etc.. Back in the old days, I had earbuds with a sliding clasp on the wires, you could make the wires snug against the back of your neck so they didn't get in your way. I don't have an Ipod, so I'm not sure what your options are. Sounds like Steve and Andrea have a good idea there, though.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Justin Algera

Profile:
If you have one of the newer shuffles, they have headphones that you click the shuffle into and there are no wires. They are great. They fit on the back of your head and are perfect for this very situation. I got a pair at the Apple store when I got my new iMac and was more excited about them than my new computer. The wife even picked up a pair
Old 06-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
Aaron Gaskill

Profile:
#1 choice chevelle! I also listen to eminem, linkin park, breaking benjamin...that sort of thing. No 70's for me!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:
My gym also blasts terrible 80s music, and I concur with the ipod headphone wires down the shirt.

I'm liking Celldweller, AC/DC, God Lives Underwater, Motley Crue, and Rage Against the Machine for my ipod mix at the moment.

Music helps motivate and here is a little research on the subject (WFS):
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/pdmusic.htm
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 AM   #9
Martin Schap

Profile:
At the gym I suffer through the 70's crap, though sometimes they play a decent rock station until the Women On Weights class comes in and requests that it be changed back. At home I work out outside and I suffer through the workouts in silence as the music I want to listen to (Blood for Blood, Agnostic Front, Dropkick Murphys, Skarhead, etc.)would probably irrevocably warp the minds of the neighbor kids (ages 1, 3, 4 and 6). I have an iPod Nano, but even running the wires up my shirt the earbuds fall out sometimes and it's basically more trouble than it's worth. I don't want to miss a PR on one of the girls because I was messing with my music.

(Message edited by schapm on June 21, 2007)
Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:
you could wrap the wires round the end of a paper clip near the earplug end and then clip this to the neck of your t shirt

this worked fine for me when i used to train to music

jerry