CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Hola,

I'm new to Crossfit, after being physically stagnant for the last couple years after being a high school athlete and collegiate wannabee. As a result, I've ballooned up to 250+ pounds, my joints are all outta wack, and in general, I'm in the absolute worst shape of my life. For now.
I'm serious about getting back "in shape" (rather than ROUND!), and CF provides everthing I crave, and has goals aligned with mine. I tried 3 rounds of yesterday's WOD with my workout partner and gf, and we are all feeling it today!

My main question surrounds 500m rows. I am absolutely hooked on these after first trying them last week when I stumbled on a C2. I can't run for jack, but I really enjoy rowing myself silly. Last night, on my 4th and final 500m row, I pulled a 1:42.0, and was on pace for a 139.9 until the last 100m when I completely bonked.

Is this decent? I'm ahead of my workout partner and gf by a bit - should I continue to push for new PR's every week? Will I achieve them? How fast does the learning curve start leveling off?

Hope this is a valid question - I did some searching and couldn't really find the answer. Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
Jacob,
Go to the Concept 2 website. They have age and weight bracketed rankings for pulls of varying distances.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Andy Rogers

Profile:
Jacob! G'luck with the effort and your goals! =)

Two links that may help:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/42680.html

... addresses time questions and then digresses (my fault, I'm affraid) into damper settings, a topic that was well covered in:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/13650.html

If you have other specific questions you may wanna PM Chris Wyant. He seems to really know his stuff when it comes to C2s and rowing.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Connie Morreale

Profile:
also check out the crossfit trophy case. menu board of home page.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Tom Rawls

Profile:
Jacob--

Next time, start more slowly. You're dying at the end, which means you're going out too fast. You're like a speed horse fading in the stretch.

Next time, head off at a 1.42 pace and then w/ 100 meters to go, give it hell for the final 11-12 strokes. That will give you a new PB, and the next time, you can start at that faster pace and gradually work your time down.

Remember the time it takes you to row 500 meters is about the same time it takes a world class runner to race 800 meters. Think about how those guys pace their races.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Great links and info; thanks! I have lots of room to improve on pacing - my endurance is so pitiful right now that I know I'll gain some in the next few months just by following the most basic of CF tenants.

I'm currently rowing less than 30 spm for the 500M, just to give myself some rest time between pulls. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull as hard but increase my strokes/minute as I get back into working out.

I think I'll make my short term goal 1:35, with my long term goal of a sub-1:30.

I love this stuff. :-)