CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
Ted Williams

Profile:
Ok...so I'm taking a couple days off. My wife and I have been working our butts off during the week, then working our butts off during the weekend to get our house ready to move into. Last weekend I moved a ton of tile (2 bathroom remodel...) twice (from tile store to rental...from rental to house)...then I moved some big shelves and other heavy crap to our new garage (my workout space is shrinking!)...then I ripped out the brick fireplace (just the face of it), and moved all the brick to our backyard. I've been getting my house WODs in :wink:

Anyhow...yesterday morning I woke up at 5:30am to do the WOD (all those front squats)...stretched out, then jumped rope for 3 minutes, then did an abreviated Crossfit warm up (ok, so I did 3 sets of 5 overhead squats and 5 pullups, but I was in a hurry to get to work)...then I walked over to my bench/rack to start the WOD.

I bend down under the empty bar, was going to do the first set with just the bar. When I stood up with the bar, it wasn't balanced well (it was dark out!)...so I tried to just shift the bar in my hands. Bad idea! Something went bad in my left shoulder/upper back area...so I put the bar back and tried to shake out the pain.

It only started to get worse, so I thought it was some weird cramp. So I hung from the beam I do pull ups on...that felt better...but when I jumped down, it still hurt. Then it started hurting more...5 minutes went by and I realized I needed to go inside and forget about working out.

I got inside, bent down to take off my shoes...then I couldn't stand back up! The pain was too intense to stand upright...so I waddled to the living room and kind of sat on the floor...couldn't lean back to lay flat, so I had to kind of fall over then slowing stretch out. Tears running down my face...it sucked! It only got better after 800mg of Advil.

It felt like those foot/leg cramps you get if you point your toes in your sleep (can't think of how to describe it...)...and its only slightly gotten better.

I'm thinking its a bad cramp, only because I can't think of what else it could be. The pain is coming from under my left shoulder blade, towards the inside of my back...its not tender to the touch, just aches.

Good thing is that stretching seems to help, so I've been doing a lot of that.

Anyone have advice? I mean, besides going to a doctor? I will, if it doesn't get better by tomorrow.

Either way, I'm going to take this week off the WODs.

Ted
Old 09-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #2

Profile:

Try to find an ART (Active Release Techniques) provider--it's this uber-effective soft tissue mobilization racket that has worked better than anything for me and several of my clients. He/she should be able to loosen up whatever is causing the problem.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Ted Williams

Profile:
hmm, so a massage with a release? That sounds vaguely....illegal.

I'll look into it :lol::wink: Thanks, seriously :D
Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #4

Profile:

Yes... make sure you ask for the "full energy release" (formerly known as the happy ending). If it doesn't fix your problem, it will at least help you forget about it temporarily.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hey Ted,

I think I've experienced exactly the same injury. The pain/symptoms you described sound the same. With me the pain radiated from the spot you mentioned around the shoulder blade and went up into my trapezius and neck. The pain was extreme whether standing, sitting, laying down, moving, not moving. Painful and frustrating.

A trip to the chiropractor fixed me up great. I followed up with some sports massage. The first chiropractor session had me back at least to 95% of my usual self. I still get some recurring tightness but it just reminds me to always warmup properly and stretch post workout.

Good luck...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Don't forget to ice as well. Anytime something like this happens - ice. Best anti-inflammatory there is. After 24 hours, you can also use heat but always finish with ice.

Sounds like a pretty typical muscle spasm to me.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Kelley Brownlie

Profile:
I'm an Lic. massage practitioner and scan the injury boards for these situations (what a twisted past time).

Sounds like your primary culprit could be your subscapularis. This muscle is part of your SITS muscles (supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres min. and subscapularis). The SITS muscles help keep the shoulder onto the body. The subscapularis comes off the anterior scapula (imagine reaching thru your rib cage and touching your scapula). You can trigger point (TrP) this muscle (ART and strain counter strain are similar techniques, just different approaches). There are three TrPs in the subscapularis. These are hard to do on yourself. I'd recommend going to someone who does TrP (call the local massage schools and see who teaches the TrP classes and see if they take clients). I'd also TrP the other SITS muscles as well as traps, SCM, scalenes, errectors, lats, serratus posterior... we're a gaint, multilayered pulley system, so injury in one area will cause effects in other areas of the body.