CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Steve Johnson

Profile:  
I'd like to do weighted pull ups, dips and pushups. What inexpensive, flexible and practical solution can you recommend. I really don't want to spend $100+. I just want something that allows me to change weights as I see fit and doesn't cost a lot.

thanks
steve
Old 04-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
For the exercises you have described, a rucksack loaded with plates, sand, small children would work.

Cheers, kempie
Old 04-15-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Ken Thynes

Profile:
Steve, I second the rucksack. When I'm at home I use either my small camelbak ruck with some dumbbell plates or my plate carrier with SAPI plates (I've found it easier to kip out a couple last reps with a pack than a belt). I imagine you should be able to get a lifting belt from a sporting goods store for under $100, but I haven't looked, so I might be wrong. If you check play-it-again sports or a like chain store, or Ironmind.com for their De Rigeur Dipping Belt (54.95 less shipping), you should be able to find a weight belt. The Ironmind products I've bought have been bombproof, and I highly recommend them. Their shipping is also very fast.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I got a cheap copy of an assualt vest off ebay for like $25 and filled it with bent nails wrapped into 1kg lumps.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
Kevin Valov

Profile:
Steve, I would recommend a web belt that you can find at an army/navy surplus store. They are made with small gromet-like holes that are great for threading a line of your choice through. I use a snap ring (similar to the end of a dog's leash) and a ring. It makes for easy changing of weight. If you want to use this for kipping please be careful.
Good luck and do let us know what you end up with.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
I have this exact weight vest. It works pretty good. http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...hted-vest.html

Only goes up to about 20lbs though.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
Steve Johnson

Profile:  
I have to admit, I didn't even know what a rucksack was. I had to look it up. It seems like there's a lot of choice. Should I be narrowing it down to something more specific? Aside from that, this seems a very sensible solution.

thanks
steve
Old 04-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Hi Steve,
I use a rucksack that has an adjustable chest strap connecting the two shoulder straps. This really helps keep the pack from slipping while doing tabata squats, dips, etc.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Steve Johnson

Profile:  
Good suggestion Yoon, thanks. What are the approximate dimensions of your rucksack? How big of plates can you fit in there and how many?

thanks
steve
Old 04-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Hi Steve,
My pack is about 20" high, 15" wide, 6" deep. Using the weights at my gym, I'm guessing I could fit 2 25 pound plates or around 10-12 10 pound plates. However, being that I'm kind of weak, I'm not 100% sure what the max. load is :wink:

I'd give you a brand name, but it's just some random pack I picked up while on vacation in Asia. But I think any technical/outdoors-type pack would do...good padding on the shoulder straps, a padded back, and rugged construction. Maybe try www.llbean.com or ebay for good deals.

FYI: my biggest complaint is that with weighted pushups, the weight tends to shift quite a bit and the distribution of weight tends to fall uncomfortably on the lower back.

Hope this helps.