CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #1
Jay Cohen

Profile:
I can get telephone poles, any length for free via our local Power Company. Seems they are always replacing them, looking for ways to get rid of them.

My question, while I think the possibilities are endless for building cool stuff, rings, pull up bar, climbing rope, and other stuff, I’m not sure that I need 3-4, 15” telephone poles, sunk in back yard to pull this off. Should I just consider two, 4 x 4 x 10 posts, install pull up bar, call it a day.

I know the decision is mine, just interested in some feedback. I you guys/gals had the space, poles for free, would you install in back yard and if so, some of your ideas for pain and fun. If you so desire, feel free to email me at jaycohe@gmail.com or let’s discuss on the board.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Bob Pratt

Profile:
WOW
the possibilities ARE endless. if i could get my wife to go for it i'd have a pole forest in my yard:
String a cargo net between two.
Plant two with a long timber between them at the top and hang; rings, a climbing rope and Bachar ladder from them.
Lay one on the ground to run across for balance practise.
i'm sure there are more.....
ratt
Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Oh, man. Telephone poles do have infinite possibilities. Hook stuff on them for climbing. Attach bars, ropes, etc. Vertical, horizontal or at an angle they have use.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
How about a short, fat caber? Improvised sled? Outdoor squat stands? Atlas stone recepticle? Carrying segments of those for time? Man, a chain saw and some sandpaper; you are golden!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Have you seen the patch at RBV highschool where Coach Mike Burgener teaches? Check it out!

http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/video/patch2.mov
Old 04-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
heh, I have an email into xcel energy to see if they give them away.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Dean Carlson

Profile:
Good idea, but be a little cautious and find out how they are treated. A lot of them around here are treated with Penta and that stuff is sorta nasty.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:
Logs

This may be a better option, and its just down the road, sweet!

$66 for a 24' x 7" untreated log sounds cheap.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Shawn Casey

Profile:
You can use the logs themselves in your workout! You can do a thruster-type/zercher squat/overhead pressing movements by picking up one end of the pole and just going at it. I workout in an area that has a row of 5 0r 6 poles laying across 2 poles and I do a football type drill doing a clean and thruster from one end to the other. I just go down the line. If you can get them in different sizes you can do all kinds of stuff with them. Make logs with some and leave some as poles. You can't go wrong with the caber toss. If I had unlimited poles and a chain saw I would be in heaven. Build yourself a target and get a tomahawk to throw at it or some throwing knives (insert hazard disclaimer now). Accuracy is a part of crossfit. Or you could roll them down the stairs like Ren and Stimpy.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #10
David Ristau

Profile:
The last generation of logs placed in the ground, here in Canada anyways, are generally only treated for the portion that sits in the ground. Cut that piece off and away you go.

Do they still do the log drills at the Battle School in Petawawa along the Ottawa river? Tossing the log between teams, log walks/runs and many other 'team building' exercises. Plenty of ideas for people running more extreme group sessions, just watch out for splinters and toes!