CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-14-2006, 03:20 AM   #11
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Rings, pullup bar, medicine balls, dumbbells, big tires, drag harness and cable, sledgehammers, dry erase boards, and when the money becomes available the C2 rower. That is a fabulous item but a spendy one to be sure.

- Power Rings from Tyler Hass.
- D-balls - spendy and you can make your own with a basketball and some sand.
- Dynamax balls - better for wall ball but the D-balls or basketballs will work fine.
- Dumbbells - Even though I like Kettlebells better, KBs are very expensive and for that reason alone are on the nice to have rather than the gotta have list. Dumbbells are on the gotta have list.
- Pullup bar - absolutely a must have. Plumbing pipe works great if you work out the proper mounting position. I have some beams I used that works fine and others have suspended them from the ceiling.
- Big tires. Go to a tire store that sells huge tires for tractors. You want a tire between 200 and 300 pounds. I have one of each of those weights and use them all the time for a variety of exercises (see www.crossfitpc.blogspot.com for some tire exercises) to include:
- Sledgehammer hits to the tire. I have an 8 and two 10 pound sledgehammers from Home Depot. Great exercise to just beat that tire into submission. Thus far they have not given up.
- I kept the tires from my F350 after I got some new ones, drilled a hole through the tread, screwed a large screw eye though the hole and into a 4 x 4 inch block of 2 x 4, and then attached a:
- Wire cable to the screw eye with a caribiner and the at the other end put a:
- Deer drag harness from Cabella's ($10). We do drag races up and down my street. Funny looks abound.
- You can get 4 x 8 sheets of dry erase board from home improvement stores for $17 or so a sheet. You must have a place to write down workouts and your times. I hate erasing the boards. I love to see workouts and times all over the place. I keep buying more and more of them to put all over the gym.
- Stall mats rock. Get them for about $40 for each 4 x 6 foot mat. Feed and Tack stores have them...they are for horse stalls and will tolerate a tremendous beating.
- Don't buy a metal weight set with a cheap bar. Save up and get a good bar and bumpers. The York needle bearing bar is particularly good.

One of the hallmarks of CrossFit is being able to do a lot with a little. To make do with what you have, where you are. Rocks, tree limbs, beer kegs, a chunk of telephone pole.

Just about anything but a gym membership.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #12
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Thanks Eugene! I hadn't thought about doing sledgehammer hits to a tire, but tht sounds like a good (and fun) workout. How do you crossfit that? 100 hits for time? :-)

A pullup bar and medicine ball will definitely be among my first additions (cuz they're cheap).

Is there an ideal mounting method for pull up bars/rings? I'm not sure I'll be able to mount from the ceiling (although I think that sounds the most stable). The ceilings are nine feet though, so I'd like to get some rings up eventually too. I want to try a muscle-up dammit!)

I'm not sure I'll be able to dedicate enough space to a tire-drag setup, but we'll see. :-)
Old 04-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Bryan - "How do you CrossFit that?" What a marvelous way of asking that question. "I'd like some pushups, pullups and squats to go." "Would you like CrossFit with that?"

100 hits with a 10 pound sledge would be brutal. I typically include the sledgehammer hits into the various quads or quints I make up so that the hammer hits are just part of a larger circuit of movements. Your 100 hits for time is a great idea though. I'll throw that in.

I have some beams set up in my gym that had the original purpose of acting as a support beam for my kayaks. Another set of 16 foot beams comprise the floor of a loft in my gym on top of which is a storage and kid play area and underneath of which is my cardio area and a place to hang the roof portion of a climbing wall, some heavy bags and some pullup bars.

Have at least one pullup bar with enough room above it to do a pullover. I have 13 foot tall ceilings so that's easy in my gym. One of my bars is hung from the ceiling by 1/4 inch cable and swings like a trapeze. Makes pullups, pullovers, toes to bar, knees to elbows and so forth quite a fight with two people on the bar. My other pullups bars are mounted on the beams and are made of 1" plumbing pipe and plumbing fittings. I have them hanging all over the place.

Do the tire drag outside...unless you live on a really busy street. I live in a gated community and the neighbors are quite used to us dragging, rolling, flipping and jumping on or into all my various tires. Tire dragging is definately an outdoor activity.

I'm redoing my gym to give myself more floor space. I'll have some pics up soon.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Bryan,
congrats on the shop and MAN am I jealous!.... But in a goog way!

Please drop me am email at kbfiremantom if you are still interested in some KB advice and lessons, as well as some "Home Depot" equipment advice....
Old 04-15-2006, 07:03 AM   #15
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
Bryan,

I don't know what type of martial art you are doing but if you want to see how I made my garage into a judo dojo/crossfit gym, check out this thread:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/17844.html

Oh, another thing, where are the pics??? We need before, during and after pictures!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #16
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I don't know if anybody mentioned this already but for indoor running, you might also invest in a sled. You can run short sprints inside pulling the sled. You can also tie a rope to it and pullit towards you as you stand still.

I also so on the Gym Jones website that they had people tied to the wall and they had to sprint across the room and touch a kettlebell 30-40 feet away. That looked brutal. Those might be more interesting ways to incorporate some indoor running to your routines.

Buy the CFJ about home gyms.

Congrats on the space!!!

(Message edited by musashi on April 15, 2006)
Old 04-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #17
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
lol @ 720 sq ft

My apartment is only 680 sq ft... I just bought a 1200 sq ft condo that I can't really afford for 400k :-(
Old 04-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #18
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Love the ideas guys. With a Sled, I could pile my kids in back and drag them. :-)

I'll definitely check out the Judo thread, too. And hi Tom! I've still got your email saved. When money allows, I'll probably take one of your KB seminars at Crossfit North. May be a while though. Money is scarce at the moment. :-)

And don't worry -- once the room is cleared of all our crap from moving in, I'll start taking photos from day one -- then hopefully stitch them into a video/slide-show for a "time lapse transformation".

:-) Bryan