CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
I have been looking to purchase a 15lb Medicine ball but the prices are very high so I decided that I would try to make one myself. First I purchased a $4.99 Official Size Basketball from Dunham’s and a $4.99 Air pump. I stuck the air pump needle in the basketball to release all of the air but instead of squeezing the ball flat to force all of the air out I let the ball keep its shape leaving the needle in the ball. I sat the ball down in my kitchen sink so the drain would keep it from rolling around, I then found a Mc Donald’s Straw "NOT MINE" LOL but the straw was a hair to small so I cut a tiny little slit at the end of it and then it fit over the air pump needle tightly. I turned the water on and angled the straw to catch the water. The trick to this was to push a few dints in the ball every 20 minutes and as the water would trickle in the dints would inflate. It took just over three hours to become a solid ball of water. Then I screwed the needle back on the pump and pumped the Basket ball tight and the end result was a solid basket ball full of water with a very small air pocket. I tested the ball, it is not at all wobbly and it does not break when you slam it, fact is, it has a perfect bounce for slamming with awesome grip and is not oval shaped or does not leak and weighs just over 15LBS. I am betting once the ball breaks in I can get it to 16lbs. I am sure 15 to 16-LBS medicine ball would be perfect for some of us so I hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I just made one the other day by cutting it open, filling it with sand, stiching it back up and slathering with shoe goo. It's airtight and weighs 21 lb. Doesn't bounce at all though.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
I was going to make one with sand since the instructions on here were well written, but I wanted to see if I could make one without cutting or drilling. 15lbs to 16lbs is good for now but when I move up in weight I will use sand. I can’t wait to do a full workout with it doing wall ball shots :-)

(Message edited by JP_Singer on April 04, 2006)
Old 04-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Jamey, I like your concept I might try something similar with some filtered waste oil I've got laying around. Oil is denser and should get a bit more weight though the higher viscosity may make it more difficult to fill the ball. I'll try a larger diameter needle if I have too. Thanks for the idea! I'll have to append my medicine ball manual to add these instructions if you don't mind?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Pierre Auge

Profile:
The only problem with waste oil is the potential for environmental contamination or simply a big nasty mess if the ball breaks.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Anthony Marzolf

Profile:
I would think the oil will be lighter than using water. It might bounce a little better though.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
A ball filled with oil! Who are you Kosmo Kramer?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Roger Smith

Profile:
If you have an old pump (or a cheap new one), you can suck up the water and likely oil and use the pump to force it in. I've done it with playground balls...
Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Doug Ralston

Profile:
Pierre,
The oil will definitely be LIGHTER than water, that’s why it floats on top of water. You could increase the density of water by dissolving salt or sugar into it. I did some rough calcs and guesstimate that a saturated sugar solution should fill a basketball to about 20 pounds.

An easier way to fill the ball with water is to connect the needle to your faucet or hose bib. It took about 4 different fittings to put an assembly together, but last week I filled a Wal-Mart basketball in about 10-15 minutes.

Doug
Old 04-05-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Fill a basketball with used oil and slam it into the ground. Great idea! I think I'll make some squat stands out of cardboard.