CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Abigail Davis

Profile:
Hi there. I'm a brand new crossfitter - actually, my first workout with a trainer is tomorrow.

My trainer got me started on the Zone. Yesterday was my first day, and I sent him my meal plan -- I'm on the plan for a medium build woman. According to the plan guidelines he sent me, published by Crossfit, this means I should eat 11 blocks:
breakfast 3, lunch 3, snack 1, dinner 3, snack 1

This doesn't fit in with my schedule terribly well, because I usually eat a pretty early breakfast but don't get to eat lunch until kind of late. So I thought I'd change it up a bit:
breakfast 2, snack 2, lunch 3, snack 1, dinner 3

Well, my trainer said this was not OK -- I need to follow the distribution of the blocks exactly, especially at first. I thought this was a little weird, because the plan for a small female is 2, 2, 2, 2, 2. So it looked to me like the point of the plan was the number of blocks, NOT how you split them up during the day.

Does this make any sense? Does anyone else have experience with this?

I just find it hard to get a snack in AFTER dinner, for instance, and still have an hour before bed. And I feel like I really NEED a snack to tide me over between breakfast & lunch, and I PREFER to have a smaller breakfast anyway.

I'm not trying to split hairs here, but it just seems like some flexibility makes a lot of sense. Is there really some 'magic' in the ratio of blocks throughout the day?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
I agree with you. I'm not sure your trainer's reasoning.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
Abigail Davis

Profile:
Thanks, Brandon. Are you a Zone follower?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Yep (albeit modified for athletic performance, and still tinkering to see what's best).
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Abigail--I am on a 10 block plan.
Breakfast-2
Lunch-2
Snack-1
Dinner-4
Snack-1

This is generally what I do. I know its aweird distribution--it generally works best, espec when I train in the afternoon. When I train in the morning I change it around. To me (and I did lose from a size 12 to a 6 this way) its just doing the math throughout the course of the day. Hope this helps although everyone is different.

I would advice keeping a food log, strictly measiuring EVERYTHING for the first few weeks and then see where you're at.

You can always send me a PM and we can chat further if you'd like.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Abigail Davis

Profile:
Congrats on your body transformation, Sarena! I'm trying to get back down to a size 6 as well. Currently 10-12. I want to wear all my cute clothes again!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:
Do with what works for you.

I'm weird - I dropped to 18 blocks from recommended 21, and I have felt no problems.

M, W, F:
Breakfast-4
Preworkout-1.5
Postworkout-1.5
Lunch-4
Snack-3
Dinner-4

T,Th:
Preworkout-1.5
Postworkout-1.5
Breakfast-4
Lunch-4
Snack-3
Dinner-4

I can't do the after dinner snack either, makes me feel like crap. I drink about 120 oz of water per day, and I feel that is what made the difference between 21 and 18 blocks, I had more room for water.

I prefer a bigger breakfast, as I basically have been fasting for 8 hours while sleeping. I find the bigger breakfast is what tides me over much better then eating more later in the day.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Thanks ABigail. It takes determination, a lot of sweat, patience and hard work. But if you're here on the CF boards and are asking intelligent questions and doing the work--it will happen. How did your session with the trainer go?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Andy Rogers

Profile:
I'm curious too! =)

How'd it go? I haven't found anyone who's even heard of CrossFit up here (trying to fix that), so I've no clue what working with an experienced trainer would even be like. Spill, Abi! =)
Old 06-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #10
Abigail Davis

Profile:
Andy, I LOVE my new trainer! I've had 2 sessions now. We're working on the basics and building from there. He's knowledgeable, personable, motivational & counts pretty well (that is what they do, right? lol)

I've been on the Zone for 5 days too, and really loving it. I'm never hungry, and I don't get urges to snack or graze because I know what & when my next meal is - and it's never far away.