CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
Steve Wingate

Profile:
Re: CF without a trainer

Buy a book on Oly lifting and video your lifts. That's what I did...stunned how bad my hip drive is.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #22
Will Feber

Profile:

Thanks for all the info. I don't think getting motivated is a problem for me. It's mostly the lack of having access to a proper crossfit gym and just starting out, so not having experience with some exercises like olympic lifting. I've read SS and had my bp, squat and press form checked by trainers.. They seem good.

It looks like the options are: 70s big + metcons, GSLP + metcons, CFF, CFSB and Conjugate CrossFit. After looking at Conjugate Crossfit, it seems with it's maybe not the best for me, lots of different lifts, I would rather stick to a few I can do with proper form.

But out of 70s big, GSLP, CFF and CFSB, which one would you recommend?

My stats: Male, bodyweight 185 lbs

Deadlift 1M: 310 lbs
Squat 1RM: 280 lbs
BP 1RM: 170 lbs
Press 1RM: 120 lbs
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #23
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Will, check your PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #24
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I am a huge fan of CrossFit Football for people that want to be "stronger and in better shape" (or as you put it, your goals are "GPP, maybe with a bit of bias towards strength")

There is something fun about lifting heavy 4x a week, and doing only short, hard and smart conditioning work. Plus, the program is out there, so you don't have to think too hard, or worry about designing any programming. Just follow the website, and rest extra when you need to.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #25
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
It's often mentioned that people can easily do crossfit without a trainer, since a lot of information is freely available. Is that generally a good idea though?

I'm asking because it seems pretty hard to learn complex olympic lifts by yourself, especially if the goal is to do them for time with high reps.

I would obviously prefer if I could go to a class, but there isn't one anywhere close unfortunately.
If you're naturally athletic there's no reason why you couldn't learn the movements yourself. Between the information in the CF Journal, the numerous Rippetoe and Burgener videos and the ****-ton of info at the SS wiki, there's plenty to point you in the right direction.

If you're just starting out don't concern yourself with performing high reps of oly lifts for time. The primary focus needs to be rock-solid form. Worry about time later. Video yourself and post it in the digital coaching section if you feel like you're having issues.

Does the local box have a Fundamentals class? If they do, I'd attend it. It's not a huge time commitment, usually 3 1-hr sessions. This is what I did once I began to get comfortable with the lifts, just to ensure I had everything dialed-in. Aside from a couple of tweaks, the above resources got me 99% of the way there.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #26
Erin Hightower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
It's often mentioned that people can easily do crossfit without a trainer, since a lot of information is freely available. Is that generally a good idea though?

I'm asking because it seems pretty hard to learn complex olympic lifts by yourself, especially if the goal is to do them for time with high reps.

I would obviously prefer if I could go to a class, but there isn't one anywhere close unfortunately.
I do it at home and I've not seen anything bad happen to me yet besides working out with WODS too much.
keys are: to down load the how to vids on crossfit on the mainsite and really watch and learn be deliberate and keep the loads light until you are sure of your form
Old 05-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #27
Will Feber

Profile:

I checked out GSLP and CFSB. Both add on metcons after the weight lifting. I'm curious. Would it make sense to have dedicated days instead. Something like:

1. Day: squat, bp, dl with 3x5 sets
2. Day: Crossfit metcon
3. Day: Crossfit metcon
4. Rest

repeat from day 1..

GSLP seems easier to recover from, since there are more rest days, in between training days...
Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #28
Matt Corley

Profile:

It would depend on how long and intense your metcons are on the off-days and what's more important to you.

I really like having more time dedicated to rest and recovery.

BTW, Greyskull is not necessarily easy to recover from. The last set is all-out and can take a lot out of you, especially as you progress though the program.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #29
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The programs are designed as they are for a reason, there's no point in modifying them. In your example you'd be trying to pull a heavy deadlift set after already doing 5-5-5+ of squats and bench...not the best plan if you want to be able to make steady progress on your deadlift. That's why GSLP splits squat and deadlift on separate days and only puts one major lift (either bench or press) along with one assistance exercise (curls or weighted chins) prior to that day's squats or deadlifts.

Metcons after bench/deadlift or press/deadlift are doable though once you stop seeing stars from the 5+ deadlift set, and GSLP also includes a Saturday metcon. The FM pushups, pullups, and burpees will also do a lot for your conditioning.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #30
Will Feber

Profile:

I'm not really trying to modify those existing programs, I just saw a few posts on this board where people recommended to alternate between weightlifting and met con days. Basically something like this:

1. day: squat + bp OR bp + dl OR press + squat
2. day: metcon
3. day: metcon
4. day: rest

or is that silly and it's better to do the metcons on the same day as the weightlifting?