CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
Leah Turner

Profile:
Re: Healthy Deodorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Forget deodorant, it's all about spreading the pheromones.
Love it!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
Albert Chang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kurland View Post
Hopefully someone with a scientific background can help me out on this... I've seen enough studies questioning the long-term effects of the types of of Aluminum Chlorohydrates found in most antiperspirants that I've switched to an all natural variety of deodorant.

What I'm using now is a Crystal Body Stick. It obviously doesn't do much to stop sweating, but does a great job of eliminating underarm odor. Thing is, the listed ingredients are "Natural Mineral Salts and Ammonium Alum"- the latter of which, I'm guessing, refers to some kind of aluminum. Is this still safe, or can anyone recommend another product?

Thanks
Why would you want to stop sweating? That's how you regulate body temperature...

I use Crystal Body stick, and like it. If I didn't I'd be using my alum block anyway, which is essentially the same thing.

The reason I switched to it was because someone brought up the topic of using alum blocks as deodorants, and either Mama Bear or the Soap Mistress said that's what men used to use. They probably mentioned something about how it was better to use than the "modern" deodorants, besides Tom's or Arm and Hammer.

In any event, alum blocks have been used for a very long time with many different uses, and I don't think there are any adverse effects. Along with using alum as a deodorant, I also use it to heal cuts/nicks and as a AS toner.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
Christie Ducote

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kurland View Post
Hopefully someone with a scientific background can help me out on this... I've seen enough studies questioning the long-term effects of the types of of Aluminum Chlorohydrates found in most antiperspirants that I've switched to an all natural variety of deodorant.

What I'm using now is a Crystal Body Stick. It obviously doesn't do much to stop sweating, but does a great job of eliminating underarm odor. Thing is, the listed ingredients are "Natural Mineral Salts and Ammonium Alum"- the latter of which, I'm guessing, refers to some kind of aluminum. Is this still safe, or can anyone recommend another product?

Thanks
Mercola did an article on this exact subject.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...eodorants.aspx

I have personally tried a bunch of natural deodorants, and m favorite is one by Melaleuca. The other ones make me break out or they are sticky or they just don't work.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Arm and Hammer makes a natural one.