CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Un-Balanced Upper Leg Muscles

My sister has been going to physical therapy for awhile with moderate results. Her problem is that her knee cap when off center, due to weak medial quads (I believe that is what her therapist said). Currently, her knees crack and hurt when she does a squat.

My question isn't really about fixing the problem, it just struck me as odd that ones inner quads could become too weak to hold her knee cap in place. How does this happen. She plays water polo and soccer but not much exercise other than that. Judging from what she tells me about therapy, they are fixing the problem, but not fixing the cause. Could she have bad running form, or it threading water messing her up?

If it helps, she has bad hip drive when she squats, and her knees go straight forward. And lunges only her her front knee.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Un-Balanced Upper Leg Muscles

Patellofemoral syndrome...

The causes and the answers wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

Corrective stuff is on pages 3 & 4.... specific conditions are at the bottom of 4 but by then you should have a grasp of it.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Gillian Steele

Profile:

I actually had surgery to fix this. But its mainly all about muscle activation, basically my medial muscles weren't turning on, causing the knee cap to lose track. It would be best to see your physio to get some muscle activation exercises and see if this helps
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
Wade Smith

Profile:

Though there is some disagreement on whether you can actively engage and strengthen the VMO apart from the entire quad, I have found one exercise that actually does indeed do a good job engaging/strengthening for those with knee pain:

Straight leg lifts with ankle weights. 3 sets of 50. Start with bodyweight to test, then add some weight (5-10 pounds all you need). Slow deliberate up and down. Try it.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

In addition to the above -- quad sets, SLRs, and SAQs with the hip externally rotated a bit will all help...

It's the top part of the range of motion that is the most benefit about 20-30 degrees before the knee locks out. Thus, I wouldn't rule out heavy partial squats.

If they're still having trouble activating have them put their hand on the muscle and push into it while they are doing the exercise. Good kinesthetic cue to help them activate the muscle. They need to squeeze it as hard as possible.

But the soft tissue work to loosen up the lateral structures cannot be ignored....