CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Paying for Paleo in College

Any college students have tips on eating Paleo. It will be my first chance to go mostly Paleo. Also, I am going to go to UC Santa Cruz so specifics are welcome.

I plan on getting a job, so money shouldn't be much more of an issue than normal. But cooking the food will be, and all the social issues of living well!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Paying for Paleo in College

are you living in an apt or in a dorm? either way, get a crock pot and/or a foreman grill. (clean up will be a little more awkward in a dorm, but still doable)

i bought chicken quarters for $.69/lb yesterday. the pork butt was a little more expensive at $1.09/lb

shop seasonally/locally for fruits and vegetables. If you aren't buying organic, these will be tend to be cheaper. (I miss the .89/lb apple days of sept. and oct.) winter's always tough, but i believe grapes and oranges are in season...and root veggies (beets, turnips, etc) are as well.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
oranges are in season
CLEMENTINES!!!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I will be in dorms, but I don't think there will be a stove or cooking area. How did you cook food (or should I eat raw meat)
Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
I will be in dorms, but I don't think there will be a stove or cooking area. How did you cook food (or should I eat raw meat)
like i said...get a foreman grill and/or a crockpot...
Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
David McGlame

Profile:

Most school cafe's have enough stations to put something paleo together although there won't be much variety. Although with all the beer I drank in college I can't say I'm an expert on keeping paleo in college. Good luck
Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McGlame View Post
with all the beer I drank in college I can't say I'm an expert on keeping paleo in college. Good luck
Are you hinting, good sir, that Natty isn't paleo? I'm not a paleo guy in the first place, but you can definitely count me out now!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Are you hinting, good sir, that Natty isn't paleo? I'm not a paleo guy in the first place, but you can definitely count me out now!
I would suggest natty isn't even beer.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine View Post
I would suggest natty isn't even beer.

It may not be beer, but it's the drink of poor-college-kid champions!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Hey Aidan, i'm up at oregon state and eating probably about 75-85% paleo (dairy accounts for the missing chunk). stock up nonperishables and you're going to have to stretch the jerky and dried fruit moderation a bit. half gallons of milk fit really nicely in the mini fridges and i found a 2 restaurants in the dining hall up here that do the trick - one has chicken satays and veggies everyday and the other has a carved meat and chicken legs every night for dinner, on top of a little market in the hall where i get my GOMAD. basically i'm sure you won't have a problem - if i can pull off paleo in college in a small town like corvallis you certainly can do it in santa cruz. i remember, as lame as it may be, my biggest concern was diet (being able to find whole and healthy foods) before i took off for school.