CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Adam Ahern

Profile:
Is cocoa a decent source of fat?

I sometimes put cocoa in my coconut cream to make chocolate mousse. I also indulge in 85% dark chocolate (lindt) from time to time. I consider these to be treats but is cocoa a good source of fat nonetheless?

Cheers,
Adam
Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Is cocoa a decent source of fat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ahern View Post
I sometimes put cocoa in my coconut cream to make chocolate mousse. I also indulge in 85% dark chocolate (lindt) from time to time. I consider these to be treats but is cocoa a good source of fat nonetheless?

Cheers,
Adam
Ummm.... Maybe read the label?

Cocoa itself has a decent amount of fat. (Cocoa butter) The question is how much fat relative to the amount of sugar, and that varies by brand. Generally speaking, super-dark chocolate has more fat and less sugar, but that's what labels are for.

Katherine
Old 11-22-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Adam Ahern

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Ummm.... Maybe read the label?

Cocoa itself has a decent amount of fat. (Cocoa butter) The question is how much fat relative to the amount of sugar, and that varies by brand. Generally speaking, super-dark chocolate has more fat and less sugar, but that's what labels are for.

Katherine
Perhaps my question was not clear. I am aware that cocoa contains a lot of fat, mostly saturated. Yes, I read labels. My question was intended to ask how cocoa compares to other foods like avocados, olive oils etc as a source of fat.

i.e is the saturated fat contained in cocoa the same as the saturated fat contained in say coconut?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

I say it falls in the same category as coconut oil (if unsweetened). I get unsweetened chocolate (100% cocoa), melt it, mix with coconut oil and vanilla flavored whey. Chill it, and you have a no/very low carb chocolate protein bar that tastes pretty good (to me, I don't eat sweet stuff, so this is sweet to me). I know there is some aftificial sweetener in the vanilla whey, you could use a teaspoon of honey, or agave syrup or something else if you wanted to.