CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Anton Emery

Profile:
I am curious what everyone thinks about strength standards for BJJ/Grappling. I can't do a double BW deadlift, which seems to be a standard i hear alot. On Rippetoe's Barbell standards i fall into Novice in most of the categories. My main goal when exercising is to improve my BJJ, but it would also be nice to bring my lifts up. I want to be a trainer eventually, so i think having a decent measure of strength is probably good.

I practice BJJ 3-4 times a week, and i am wondering if doing a ME Black Box type method will be ok. I dont want to burn myself out.

anton
Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Rich Stackon

Profile:
I have been submitted by guys half my size and half my strength. When I was training, technique was stressed above strength and trying to "overpower" your opponent. In MMA and striking and judo, strength is crucial, but if you are just rolling, I don't think you need to put a lot of stress on it. I think you need to be more concerned with cardio and muscular performance from an endurance standpoint. You need to have the muscle endurance to be able to lock in a good guard-to hold a triangle without your legs getting weak after a few seconds, especially if you are well into a round of sparring.
You need to be explosive, so heavy lifting and going for bulk can be detrimental. I started CF because I wanted it to improve my BJJ game, and I think it has. The problem is, I am no longer a spring chicken, and I had to set new goals.I want to be fit and healthy above all else, and since I am too old to roll on the ground and fight people in a cage, I had to put the BJJ on hold. But I noticed a big difference in my endurance when I was training BJJ and CF'ing at the same time.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
Anton Emery

Profile:
Thanks for the input. Thats more or less along the lines towards what i am feeling. I think muscular endurance and sub maximal isometric strength is probably the most important. When i am on someone's back i am not thinking how i wish i could bench and squat more, i am just trying to hold on even though my muscles are burning. I think having more maximal strength definitely can't hurt, i will just be careful how often i do a maximal strength workout. Probably once a week at most.

anton
Old 07-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AedOaOes77c

Technique beats strength

May not be work family safe.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
Anton Emery

Profile:
Thats an inspiring video. DeSouza is about my size. Guess i need to work on being more technical.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Matt Thacker

Profile:
I agree that technique beats size. However, If you arent lifting heavy you arent Crossfitting. Just do the WOD's and continue traininig BJJ. You can have it all.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Matt's right.

Technique beats strength.

Technique + strength beats technique.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
I agree with Gant. Everything equal the strongest will win.

And Rich you can never be too old to roll on the ground.

(Message edited by bobbyasmith on July 22, 2007)
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Rich Stackon

Profile:
Thanks, Bobby....I roll on the ground still- it's just harder to get back up! :yawn: