CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
David L Jones

Profile:
Re: Bar Muscle-Up Help!

I actually got my bar muscle ups before the rings. For me, it was a matter of timing and focusing on getting my elbows above the bar. A friend of mine says to think of it like you are giving a motorcycle full throttle with both hands when you get that weightless feeling. For me, the more patient I am, the easier I can do a muscle up. I almost feel as if my back is perpendicular with the ground when I initiate my pull over, which feels effortless when I do it right. When I throw my elbows up over the bar it is definitely an explosive movement with a timing element similar to a good clean or snatch (obviously the movement is different, but it has that same weightless feel at the explosive moment).

Also, using a band for multiple repetitions at a time helped me to get the feel of laying back and exploding with my elbows up and over the bar.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

I found jumping bar MUs helped me the most. I started well under the bar like I was hanging / about to kip and then tried to mimic the movement into a bar MU.

Got my first one with about 4 weeks of work. Just a little every few days.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Rader View Post
I've been frustratingly close for a while. Last week I jumped up and gave the pushing yourself away thing a try. Did 4 singles.

So thanks
Awesome, congrats! And you're !