CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
HSPUs - bands or decreased ROM

So, if I am working on trying to do more strict HSPUs would you do

1) Bands with full ROM
2) Slightly less ROM with a AbMat (no bands)

I see benefits to both...
Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: HSPUs - bands or decreased ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Jonczak View Post

1) Bands with full ROM

Then do both?.....

- Mark
Old 05-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I've done both, and I prefer less ROM with an AbMat. I find that band assisted HSPUs are either way to easy (the band is too strong and I'm getting little benefit), or poor form (band isn't strong enough and I'm arching my back like crazy). It takes me too much fiddling around to find the right band resistance.

I feel like correct, lesser ROM with an AbMat is better at increasing my strength and leading to an RX'd HSPU.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
Michael Cook

Profile:

How about HSPU with a partner assisting you? That way, you can get the full range of motion, and get as much or little assistance as you need.

Also, handstand holds will help develop the strength needed for HSPU.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I think y'all are talking about HSPU as in the kind that just go to the top of the head also known as HeSPU, commonly done off a wall.

I do not like decreasing ROM in the HeSPU as I would rather use a different progression. Nor do I like using bands though I have spotted HeSPU plenty though I generally spot these on parallettes or sideways on a balance beam.

I don't really like using abmats but then again it is a good idea to protect people's skulls so I can't argue with that. You can offset the ROM you lose by placing the hands on something or just not worrying about it (especially in a setting

If your athlete has mastered the basic dip, on dip stands or PB, they will be far more prepared to execute the HeSPU. Just like they should be able to do a normal pushup on floor before they are really going to get anywhere with dips on PB/dipstands. Nor do I like chair/bench dips with the feet in front taking off load.

Generally the progression I prefer before doing the HeSPU off the wall is to do it off a box with the body piked at the waist and the toes on a box or height that sets their torso to be vertical. Master the ability to do between 5 and 10 repetitions.

I do understand there is something to be said about decreasing ROM as much as is allowed during competition by setting the hands really wide (though sometimes this isn't allowed anymore).

Doing decreased ROM is something I would use between the HeSPU and HSPU on parallettes or rings. Something like perhaps only setting it up so the hands only go down so far as the ears.

If they cannot even perform the HeSPU off the wall, their triceps are pretty damn weak if they are competent with just a basic wall handstand. Focus on that. DB Presses/PushPresses, pushups, dips, etc.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I started with putting a 45 plate/towel down, into 25s, into just the towel, into nothing.

Not a super fan of the abmat on the ground, because I feel like it can it put your neck at risk.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
I started with putting a 45 plate/towel down, into 25s, into just the towel, into nothing.

Not a super fan of the abmat on the ground, because I feel like it can it put your neck at risk.
not trying to be smart at all, but how would the abmat put your neck at risk more so than hitting it on the ground instead?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Jonczak View Post

1) Bands with full ROM

Since you say you want to do more, I assume you can already do a set of full range of motion HSPU, or at least one.

I'd do sets where you do as many strict as you can with good form then kick up and do 3 negatives (have to re-kick up to wall each rep) that take ~3 seconds to descend from top to bottom. Perform ~5 sets this way.

Another thing that helps a lot is dumbbell/kettlebell pressing, single arm and double arm.