CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Andy Kramer

Profile:
Re: Rapid Increase in Sit-Ups

For sure Josh and Jeff

I just tested myself out on Saturday, after a tough 20min AMRAP partner WOD... I'm at 32. I had 4 guys watching technique, counting, reps per 15 seconds, etc. I tried to focus on breathing out when I hit up also.

I'm averaging 15 for the first 20 seconds, a little slower on the next 20 seconds... After I get to around 26-28, I start to slow down. Then I hit a wall after 30. I cranked out 2 more, and I just cold not go up to my knees.

AARGRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Christopher Morris

Profile:

How do your abs feel during the cycle of each rep?

I used to be in the Army and had to do two minutes of sit-ups at each PT test. It helped my endurance through those two minutes if I did the following:

- Relax the abs as much as possible on the descent. Let gravity do the work of getting you back to the ground with a flop. You want to be working as little as possible during this part of the cycle.
- On the ascent, crunch the abs hard for 1/3 to 1/2 of the ascent. The top 1/2 to 2/3 of the ascent should feel like almost like you're floating up, or your abs are less contracted than the bottom portion.

If you can conserve energy or decrease the workload of each rep, it may help you squeak out a couple more reps toward the end.

For the police department PT test, are there any approved rest positions? I think the Army PT test allowed resting while sitting up, without your arms touching the sides of your legs, and you had to keep fingers interlocked behind your head. There won't be much resting in 1 minute, but it might help if you can disengage the abs and breath once or twice, then go again.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
- On the ascent, crunch the abs hard for 1/3 to 1/2 of the ascent. The top 1/2 to 2/3 of the ascent should feel like almost like you're floating up, or your abs are less contracted than the bottom portion.
Andy, if you can get this feeling I 100% agree with the above. My suspicion, however, (as in my original post) is that your levers and body mass may not allow you to get away with this.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Groves View Post
Andy, if you can get this feeling I 100% agree with the above. My suspicion, however, (as in my original post) is that your levers and body mass may not allow you to get away with this.
Agreed. As an adult my weight has ranged from 160-190#, and I'm 5'10". The feeling of floating the last half of the sit-up is a lot easier when I've been lighter. It's hard to do that with the extra weight on, especially when it is belly weight. Belly weight makes it feel like you're going uphill when doing sit-ups.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
Andy Kramer

Profile:

Hey guys! I don't know what happened on Saturday, but I got them all!!

We had a partner Trodo WOD. 2-4-6-8-10, 200m-run w/ a medicine ball, and 115 ground-to-overheaed, for time. I completed the workout with 3 other fellas. Then took 10 minutes of rest. Then did some sit-ups...

Ankles close to my butt, hands interlocked behind the head, and I went for it. I breathed out on the way up, and stopped tightening me abs mid-way up in the sit-up. I had over 25 done in the first 30 seconds... I hit a wall around 34... I got 36 before I failed on one, and then I reset, and cranked out the last one with 4 seconds to spare.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #16
Josh Groves

Profile:

Congrats Andy!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #17
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Old 04-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
Andy Kramer

Profile:

Josh and Chris: Thanks a bunch!

My goal now is to keep improving. My coach has been subtly programming way more ab-work in lately for me (weighted planks, weighted GHD, weighted sit-ups, strict sit-ups, T2B, jogging), and I believe that is helping. I think it also helps that I've lost 7 lb. in the last month.

I need to be able to crank out at least 40, ideally 45, in a minute so that I can be ready for anything.

My next big task is to improve on my 1.5-mile run.