CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
Steve Lamar

Profile:

I do not have a set of shoulder pads at my house but I am wanting to test to see if they would be an aid to doing front squats/cleans, and leave enough freedom to do other exercises(Crossfit). Appears to me that wearing shoulder pads would help with wrist flexibility and protecting the collar bone. When doing multiple thrusters they would save the shoulder bruises. Also I have made up a pair very poorly I might add from some towels and I believe they may help with good form in the front squat. I do know from a web search that there are shoulder injury pads/shock cushions that are worn under shoulder pads that may be of assistance to Crossfiters. If anyone has an opportunity to give some feedback I would be thankful. Meanwhile I will be on the lookout to pick up a pair myself and will report back what I found out.

Thanks,
Steve Lamar
Old 04-15-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I would say no to the shoulder pads.

You shouldn't need them and if you do there is a technique issue that needs sorting out.

With correct form in the front squat you can handle a lot of weight and not need any padding at all, in fact such padding is against the rules of weightlifting.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
All the best lifters use shoulder pads and wear gloves and weight belts. They also have those one piece pajamas that have the slippers built in. You should also be sure to wear a helmet and mouthguard when you do thrusters...just in case.

ALWAYS wear two pairs of socks, clean underwear and a cup.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Steve,
Shoulder pads would not help with wrist flexibility. They would act as a crutch and keep you from obtaining greater wrist flexibility.

As Don said, if you are banging your collarbone with cleans, there is a form issue. If you are grinding your collarbones with front squats, either the bar is in the wrong place, your shoulders aren't "active", or both.

If you don't get much out of what I said above, there are other options.

Get some professional OL instruction. It will be worth it.

Cleans and front squats with kettlebells. No collarbone risk or wrist flexibility issues with these.

Check out this Under Armour lacrosse padded undershirt: http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=1&dept_id=2&coll_id=10&p f_i d=0140 .

Hope that helped.