CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
If you have a Timex OVA watch you can pull off the little strap keeper and tuck the strap into the band through the slot behind the buckle. It's easier than fussing with the keeper and is much neater.

All of my pullup bars are made out of 1" plumbing pipe. I've had some blister problems with high reps and started taping my hands. I got tired of that and taped one of the bars. Works perfectly. Just the right amount of tackines which provides a no-slip grip. I used white athletic tape.

Eastbay has some great black Puma shoes for sale with flat bottom and a great glove-like feel. Great workout shoes, very comfortable.

The Under Armour compression shorts and underwear are better than the Everlast stuff. The waistband is wider and more study and won't roll up like the Everlast one does.

The UA T-shirts with the cotton feel are heavenly. Buy lots of them, you won't want to wear anything else.

Except for their workout shorts made out of the same material. Like being naked without all the funny looks.

Get a Wok. I have been stir frying my chicken breasts, shrimp and scallops and tossing a handful of cooked spaghetti noodles in at the end with some olive oil and soy sauce and then tossing it with pesto. Fabulous.

When you get a tire (tyre to those of you that think there is a u in color) to drag a good way to attach your cable to it is to use a big screw eye. Drill a hole through the tire, screw the screw eye through the tire and into a 4" x 4" block of wood. Get some cable from Home Depot or wherever and make loops on the end with buckles you can get from hardware and attach it to the tire with a caribner and the same on the other end to a $10 deer drag harness from Cabelas.

Have at least one free hanging bar in your gym. Use 1/4 inch cable or 1" webbing and suspend if from your ceiling if you can so that you have room at the top for pullovers. The free swinging nature of the bar adds an interesting dimension to pullups...especially with multiple people on the bar.

Always buy good stuff, the first time. Then you don't have to waste money buying better stuff later. Make it cheap at first, but don't buy cheap crap. You will come to regret that later if you do.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Eugene,
on the first note I spell colour with a U but I've never seen tire spelt with a Y. Thats just crazy!

And if I may suggest something, slip a length of 1 1/4inch black PVC over your hanging pull up bar. This will give you a large diameter grip, and rotating bar similar to the 2 inch bar at HQ but without the need for bearings. I've been using a similar setup for some time and it works wonders for the grip. You can also do the same thing with rings by placing the bar through the rings. Its extremely unstable and quite challenging to work on.

Some info for those who workout in colder climates. The UA clothing will actually FREEZE and give you frost bite if you wear it during the winter months. Like for example going for a run or just doing anything outdoors where you are likely to sweat. As soon as you stop the UA apparel will freeze almost instantly. Its great stuff for warmer climates but terrible when the temp drops. I know this from a couple of buddies who wore some UA undergarments during a winter field exercise and got frost bite in some nastily unexpected places. Greetings from Canada!

Adidas makes some great flat soled shoes that look almost identical to their O-Lifting shoes. I picked my pair up for $89.99 Canadian, approximately $82.00 US. They have a fairly ridged sole and are excelent for O-Lifting. Keep the footware simple the more complicated your footware the more prone to injury you will be. Avoid anything that says Nike or RBK, IMHO as the over engineered soles they produce are more likely to get you hurt then help you out.

Thanks for the great advice Eugene, always full of great info you are, I bow to my ever so wise elders.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Ok, Eugene or Pierre since you have all this cool info I have a question for you. I'm looking for a resistance band. For running against. Like attached to me and tied off to something like a tree. I'm sure it has a name but I can't think of it.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Surgical tubing . . . fairly cheap solution, can buy it in any length. Get it as heavy as you can (1/2", if possible). Try a medical supply house for retail, or put "surgical tubing" into Froogle.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Jennifer- Also, "The Cat", sold by Perform Better. I have used that for running, lunging, jumping, etc. It's durable and pretty heavy duty.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail....623_A_rnd_E_44
Old 04-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Surgical tubing is good but sometimes hard to find. The other option I was thinking about was bungee cord you can get it from most outdoor or hardware stores in just about any length. Usualy you can cut it from a roll. Like surgical tubing its pretty cheap and 3/8 or 1/2 inch should work just fine.

Ummmm not to sound off here but why would you want to do this? I would rather suggest running with a sled but heck do as you please! Hehehe
Old 04-17-2006, 02:28 AM   #7
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Thanks everyone. Great information.
Pierre, the sled is a little different...I think? I would not mind putting one of them together. For me its space and equipment that is easy to travel with deal.
The Surgical tubing is another great thought. I work in a hospital so I'll have to see what it looks like.
I went to the link that Lisa put in her posting. They sell the belt separate which could be very useful for pulling a tire or a sled and to use with the band. Awesome!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jennifer - I like Pierre's bungie cord idea...that's what I use. I went to a Marine store (boats not Corps) and found some 1/2 or maybe 3/8 inch thick white and blue bungie cord on a huge roll. I bought a bunch of it and put handles on the ends. I loop the end through a vertically mounted bar with a half hitch so I can adjust the height and use it for a variety of resistance exercises...one of which could be your running thing. Run forward, let it pull you back or run backward and let it pull you back or just keep running in place against the resistance.

Tires make a great thing to drag down the street and the looks you get are wonderful.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:14 AM   #9
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Eugene, Thanks. Great ideas.
Your right about the tires people do look at you kinda strange.
This is the best part of Crossfit to me..making my own equipment. Or just using equipment outside incorporating the environment. You should see the looks I get when I do the farmers walk to the park with me KB's!
Old 04-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
Shawn Casey

Profile:
I love my Great Wok of China.