CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Adam Whelan

Profile:
2 Days after First Class, Inner Elbow Soreness

I was hoping it would go away in time. I'm doing the MWF class schedule and my first class was Fran. Well today is Wednesday and my inner elbows are on fire still. I can barely straighten them without using a wall or something to help me pull my arm out.

I don't want to woose out but I also don't want to aggravate it further. I'm expecting some soreness but am wondering if since I am so new that I should give it another day and keep stretching it out to see if it gets better.

Any ideas?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Ron Thurston

Profile:
Re: 2 Days after First Class, Inner Elbow Soreness

I had a lot of issues with my elbows when I first started working out (CrossFit and just weightlifting in general). Turns out it was tendinitis in both elbows (outer on the right, inner on the left). I struggled with it for a long time especially after any workouts requiring significant and prolonged grip strength (Deadlift, pullups etc). Not too bad for the lighter guys but when you're trying to do 50 pull-ups at 250 pounds, it taxes your grip, haha.

I had excruciating pain picking something as light as a soda can up with an extended arm. It was that bad. Now I have no pain whatsoever even picking up plates after a workout (pinch carrying them).

I have been working on my grip strength now along with my normal weightlifting and it has helped a ton.

In the meantime, I found that using a lacrosse ball on the elbows, inside and out, helped alleviate the pain quite a bit. It will hurt like hell when you're doing it but after that, it will feel better.

I'd also recommend going to see someone who is qualified in Graston to scrape that area as well. Again, that will hurt like hell but it alleviates a lot of the pain. Don't fight through it as it will only make it worse.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Adam Whelan

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. I've never done free weights before and definitely never olympic style lifting. It was my first class since On Ramp and I wanted to push myself and was able to complete Fran with 65lbs. of weight (45 bar and 2x10 plates). It didn't hurt so bad yesterday but today I can extend my arm about 80% before it stops and I have to force it the rest.

I have been using a wall to stretch it out and while it hurts, it feels amazing afterwards for a short time. I am probably going to skip today's class because I know being sore is part of the game but this seems like a little more than just the normal sore you should feel.

I have had mild tendinitis before so I can see why what I did Monday probably put my body in shock. The weights though didn't seem my problem though (good grip, good form), but the pull ups were excruciating. I am wondering if it is due more to the pull ups which I did assisted but still killed me than anything else.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Ron Thurston

Profile:

When you say inner elbow do you mean in the crease of your elbow or on the inside, "bony" part? If it's in the crease it could very well be the long bicep head connections that are sore (they run down from the end of your bicep into your forearm). That's something else I've dealt with but, at least for me, that was just resting it.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Adam Whelan

Profile:

If I had to pinpoint it it would actually be just past the inner elbow. See my arrow below.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...32769324_n.jpg

Again it kills to stretch it out but once it's stretched it feels great for about a min or two after. Then get's tight again.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Ron Thurston

Profile:

How is that elbow feeling?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Adam Whelan

Profile:

Actually A LOT better. I spent most of the last two days stretching it out and icing on/off. It's pretty much back to normal now. I haven't been to class since Monday and am going back today for Jack's Jill WOD. Looks like it will be a good one to get back into the groove with.

10 Min Amrap
1 Box Jump 24/20
1 Abmat Situp
5 Double Unders
2/2/10
3/3/15
etc.