CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Bryan Lloyd

Profile:
Post op (MCL) recovery time

Hello all,
I am a 39 yom who has been doing CF for 3.5 years now. I am a firefighter and tore my MCL on a call and after putting up with pain during my wods for some time I had corrective surgery on Oct 18, 2011. My injury was a grade 2 tear on the anterior horn. I also had a lot of scar tissue on the back of my knee cap and some arthritis on top of all that(I'm guessing 7 years walking everywhere with a pack on my back in the Army had something to do with that!) Anyway I was wondering if anyone has had a similar injury and what can I expect to get back to. I recently revisited the Doc and told him I still had some pain after exercise and he told me that was normal considering what all was done. In laymans terms he said to envision a meniscus that is 1/8 inch and mine is now 1/16 inch. I guess my question is will CF do more damage than good at this point. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Post op (MCL) recovery time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lloyd View Post
Hello all,
I am a 39 yom who has been doing CF for 3.5 years now. I am a firefighter and tore my MCL on a call and after putting up with pain during my wods for some time I had corrective surgery on Oct 18, 2011. My injury was a grade 2 tear on the anterior horn. I also had a lot of scar tissue on the back of my knee cap and some arthritis on top of all that(I'm guessing 7 years walking everywhere with a pack on my back in the Army had something to do with that!) Anyway I was wondering if anyone has had a similar injury and what can I expect to get back to. I recently revisited the Doc and told him I still had some pain after exercise and he told me that was normal considering what all was done. In laymans terms he said to envision a meniscus that is 1/8 inch and mine is now 1/16 inch. I guess my question is will CF do more damage than good at this point. Any advice will be appreciated.
Sounds like you had a meniscal tear as well as an MCL tear. was your MCL fixed also. If it was repaired then you are still in the normal realm of recovery, if it was just the meniscus that would be on the outer edge of recovery. Some of the arthritis in the knee can unfortunately extend the recovery phase also. Sean
Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Bryan Lloyd

Profile:

Sean,
Thank you for your reply. Yes I had a meniscal tear as well. I see from another post you are a surgeon. I am guessing you are a Crossfitter as well. In your opinion should I be running 5 months post op. I am doing the Wods as rxd with no problems except mild discomfort after some of them. My surgeon told me to avoid squatting yet I was doing body weight squats on a bosu ball during PT. I got ahead of myself last month and started doing weighted squats butt to floor up to about 185 butt quit do to discomfort the next day. Anyway, Thank You sincerely for your advice. It's great to talk to a surgeon who does CF and understands the competitive spirit.
Respectfully,
Bryan Lloyd
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lloyd View Post
Sean,
Thank you for your reply. Yes I had a meniscal tear as well. I see from another post you are a surgeon. I am guessing you are a Crossfitter as well. In your opinion should I be running 5 months post op. I am doing the Wods as rxd with no problems except mild discomfort after some of them. My surgeon told me to avoid squatting yet I was doing body weight squats on a bosu ball during PT. I got ahead of myself last month and started doing weighted squats butt to floor up to about 185 butt quit do to discomfort the next day. Anyway, Thank You sincerely for your advice. It's great to talk to a surgeon who does CF and understands the competitive spirit.
Respectfully,
Bryan Lloyd
I always have to say listen to your surgeoin first, and it sounds like the weighted squats were too much. It always nice to check back in with your PT once a week or so to get a longer recovery plan. That way you can map out where you are going, what has worked for you and what you should avoid.