CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Sean Whitty

Profile:
Proximal Adductor Pain

Hello everybody,

Been having some nagging proximal adductor pain. I can actually palpate which muscle hurts. I am pretty sure its from squatting, squat cleans or deadlift. Not sure if it was a heavy lift or eccentric fast lifting, but the weird thing is it's only on one side. My left femur is slightly longer than my right and makes my form a bit weird sometimes, likely contributing to the problem.

I have been trying to use a lacrosse ball and foam roller which seems to help some, but under certain amounts of stress or at a certain point in my hip range of motion, the pain is there. It's not like tendonitis pain, or anything like that. It almost feels like muscle strain, but I can't figure out how to kick it for good.

Just posting to see if any of you tall guys out there have had similar pain/injury and what you may have done to get rid of it/ prevent it from recurring.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Mike Hopper

Profile:
Re: Proximal Adductor Pain

Hip impingement syndromes and labral tears sometimes present as groin pain. If it's been persistent, I would get it checked out...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Sean Whitty

Profile:

Thanks for the help! I wasn't even sure what to call it honestly other than just describing the pain. It's not a huge thing, but it definitely causes painful ROM and can make squatting difficult during and the pain remains after. Again not too severe, just really annoying, but I will definitely just suck it up and have it looked at.

Thanks Again
Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

If you want a guess, answer some more questions

Links wfs (ignore shoulder articulations)

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts. Tell me what tissue(s) it feels like it's hurting in, or if it's more superficial or deep in the joint?

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion. Also tell me when and what movements during these exercises are eliciting the pain?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

7. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

8. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

10. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

11. Any previous injury history?

12. How's your posture?

13. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

14. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Really, I need paragraphs of details for at least the first two questions which are the most important. I always get one sentence or one liners and people wonder why I can't help at all.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Sean Whitty

Profile:

Steven - thanks for the lengthy answer, I will save this somewhere and if I get some other nagging injury in the future, I will be sure to include all of that info in the original post.

It turns out that this was merely a mobilization issue. As soon as I MADE more time in my schedule to mobilize and stretch, the pain went away. Will take better care of self from now on haha.

Thanks again.