CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Edward Newell

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction - Hamstring or Patellar Autograft?

Sean - That's the conclusion I was slowly tumbling towards. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Brian Kellogg

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction - Hamstring or Patellar Autograft?

I had the hamstring autograft in October. Was able to bear weight "as tolerated" right from being released from the clinic on the day of the surgery but I was prescribed crutches for the first week as a precaution. After a few days, the crutches were more of a nuisance than a help. I think it has a lot to do with whether or not you also had meniscus damage (many people with torn ACL's have it, I didn't) and how strong you were going into the surgery (thanks Crossfit!)

Everyone's surgery and recovery is a bit different. A girl at my box just tore her ACL while skiing. Were about 5 years apart in age, we live similarly active lifestyles (we both run, play soccer and Crossfit...she skis, I do martial arts) We went to the same surgeon. She's having an allograft, had surgery a week or two after injury (I had to do PT for a month or two until I was operated on) The surgeon's position with me was to take the hamstring graft if at all possible.