CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-17-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Ben Stroud

Profile:
Angry Complete Patella Rupture

Hi All, Im really hoping for some info and advice on recovery and times etc..... Im going out of my mind!! I completely ruptured my patella tendon from the south polar region. This is how it happened....!! I was olympic lifting in a competition. Only a small comp and I'd already won but I had one lift left. So I cleaned the weight, no problem, split jerk with left leg forward and felt 3/4 pop's in my knee, huge pain and ended up on the floor. I still dont know how the weight didnt hit me and neither does anyone else!! So i guess im a bit lucky too. I've now had my surgery and come home after 8 days. I was dreading coming home because I knew it was the start of something so long. Like a bad prison sentence in a foreign land!! Anyway.... My patella had completely ruptured and ended up up my thigh. The retinaculum had torn both sides and some of my quad's insertions had torn but not enough for surgical intervention. So im laid up now and a bit ruined and starting to get really down. I really want to know if anyone else has had the same injury and how are you recovering?? And to what degree has anyone got their fitness back. I am a PE teacher and hugely into crossfit. Strength/fitness etc..... I NEED to get back to 100% but not even sure if its possible?? Please let me know if anyone out there has suffered the same fate!!

Many thanks guys, I look forward to some positive/negative/realistic replies?!!

Benxx
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: Complete Patella Rupture

Stay strong Ben. I have no medical advice for you, but we will be thinking of you today during Rock Creek CrossFit's Christmas WOD and wishing you a full and speedy recovery!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Here is information from my lecture on Patellar tendon rehabilitation from complete rupture:

WB (weight bearing) restriction, extension brace 4-6 weeks
Knee flexion 0 – 45 first 2-3 weeks
Knee flexion 0 – 90 first 4-6 weeks
SLR (straight leg raise), bike at 8 weeks
Quad strengthening 12–16 weeks
Sport training 16-24 weeks

This will give you ballpark figures. Your individual results may vary.

You can likely do upper body/core work if you didn't get any directions about that. Same with uninjured leg.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Ben Stroud

Profile:

Hi Ian!!
Many thanks for that!! I seriously appreciate it!!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Ben Stroud

Profile:

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply, I know you're right about upper body training. My only thought about that was diverting nutritional resources away from my knee so as to repair my chest..... I suppose the other thought is training to promote whole body recovery...?!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Not really.... activity is good for the body overall.

But if you're worried hit up more cardiovascular type activity to get blood flowing better, especially if you're allowed to do ankle pumps and whatnot for your affected leg.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
Ben Stroud

Profile:

Agreed mate, my plan is to swim with a float inbetween my legs and I can't wait!! I get all 46 staples out today and a recast:-(!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Mark Veres

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Complete Patella Rupture

Ben,

I ruptured my patellar tendon 7 weeks ago.

Check out kneeguru for all info concerning surgery, rehab, complications, etc...

I could write a book on the experience of the first 7 weeks.

If you have any specific questions let me know...
Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Paolo Lim

Profile:

Ben, I'm 5 months out from patellar tendon rupture and repair. It happened when I landed wrong during vertical leap testing.

I went from WOD'ing almost everyday pre injury to zero working out for about 4 months. I thought I would go crazy, but my desire to heal without retearing kept me from doing anything more than normal daily activities (standing/sitting/walking) to gradually recover muscle strength, once I was allowed to bend my knee.

So far so good. I was cleared for exercise minus running, explosive or cutting movements at about 4 months, and I've been easing into strength with dumbbell complexes a few times a week and intermittent isometric gymnastic holds. The good thing about my loss of met-conditioning is that now my workouts are so time efficient-- it only takes 30 minutes with relatively light weights to get to the dizzy, nauseous point and be sore for the next few days.

Going forward, my plan is to progress into a strength program like SS, 70s Big, or Greyskull once my body can tolerate 3-4x's per week, and listen to my body and my MD about if/when to start back o lifting (one of my favorite parts of xfit). I'm not as courageous as I was pre injury, and I'm going to be really careful with technique, and sensitive to signals from my body when something's not right. However, I'm mentally preparing myself for the possibility that I won't be able to crossfit the way I use to. I don't want another incapacitating injury requiring surgery, or, worse, one that can't be fixed.

Good things are that I've spent more time with family and more time improving my job skills; my life is more balanced than it was. Also, I've saved a bit of money in affiliate membership dues. I'm now out of shape (but not as bad as just before I started crossfit), and I've had to buy new pairs of pants to fit the extra inches I've gained. I've lost my hard-earned protective calluses, too.

It's definitely a new starting point and a new challenge to face in terms of getting back into shape, which I like.

Best of luck. Let me know if you have questions. I remember I could not find much discussion on this, when I had the injury.