CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Carline Saintilien
Member Carline Saintilien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Corona  NY
Posts: 35
Balancing Work Security and Recovery (post Injury/Surgery or Both)

With all do respect to my surgeons on their diagnoses and recommendations for treatment (surgery), most people cannot agree to a surgery very lightly.

One must way the risk of the surgery itself, but more importantly will my JOB be waiting for me when I am fully recovered.

I still have a job, but there have been many changes that have taken me off guard. Today was my first day back after being on leave for 4 weeks.

At this point I am speechless.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Sean Rockett
Member Sean Rockett is offline
 
Sean Rockett's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Natick  MA
Posts: 657
Re: Balancing Work Security and Recovery (post Injury/Surgery or Both)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carline Saintilien View Post
With all do respect to my surgeons on their diagnoses and recommendations for treatment (surgery), most people cannot agree to a surgery very lightly.

One must way the risk of the surgery itself, but more importantly will my JOB be waiting for me when I am fully recovered.

I still have a job, but there have been many changes that have taken me off guard. Today was my first day back after being on leave for 4 weeks.

At this point I am speechless.
Good point Carline. Surgery should be done only if the pain is hindering life, it coiuld be work related and worker's comp would cover you. It could be sports related and then the question comes into play about how long can someone take off of work and still retain their job.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Carline Saintilien
Member Carline Saintilien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Corona  NY
Posts: 35
Re: Balancing Work Security and Recovery (post Injury/Surgery or Both)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
Good point Carline. Surgery should be done only if the pain is hindering life, it coiuld be work related and worker's comp would cover you. It could be sports related and then the question comes into play about how long can someone take off of work and still retain their job.
Thanks Sean. It becoming clear to me that my surgeons don't get it or do not appreciate this challenge like you do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Balancing Work Security and Recovery (post Injury/Surgery or Both)

On the other hand, one must also balance short-term, pre-planned time off now against the risk of longer, unplanned time off in the future. Ignoring problems does not make them go away.

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Carline Saintilien
Member Carline Saintilien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Corona  NY
Posts: 35
Re: Balancing Work Security and Recovery (post Injury/Surgery or Both)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
On the other hand, one must also balance short-term, pre-planned time off now against the risk of longer, unplanned time off in the future. Ignoring problems does not make them go away.

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Katherine
So very true Katherine which could be why there is a push (from my surgeon) to have another surgery. I understand the longer a patient is under anesthesia, the risk of infection goes up. But really and truly, the ideal would have been to have both procedures performed simultaneously. I digress.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recovery from foot surgery Steven Gustafson Injuries 1 12-17-2011 06:27 PM
surgery recovery Vance Van Hees Injuries 4 10-23-2010 04:21 PM
Injury/Surgery/Recovery/Space to Post Eileen Schreiber Injuries 1 05-14-2010 02:10 AM
Sinus Surgery - Recovery Kristen Van Horn Health and Medical Issues 17 01-16-2009 11:33 AM
Post ACL surgery recovery problems Henry Adderley Injuries 4 07-11-2006 08:25 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.