CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #31
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: CrossFit Hurts People

Its been talked about before, anybody with a 1000 bucks can go get a level 1 cert, and start training people in crossfit. Think diploma mill. Thats not unique to crossfit though I mean tons of organizations offer certifications in this or that and although the content might be worth sitting through it certainly doesnt qualify those attending to instruct anything. If someoe with 0 background in exercise or weightlifting goes to a cf olympic lifting cert, should they be deemed "qualified" to teach olympc lifting?

I know the thought is that bad trainers and bad gyms will weed themselves out, the problem is how much damage can they do during that process of going out of business?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #32
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I know that there is a thread where the guy has posts from Facebook pages, this forum, and other sources. Each post is a screencap from when a person has had an actual diagnosed case of rhabdo, stemming from Crossfit.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
It wasn't done that way Katherine but do what thou will.

Even without his thread, this forum's injury section would suffice.

In not that all CF trainers and gyms are bad, it's probably not that most of them are; but more than likely there are a handful especially the inexperienced ones that end up cropping up rhabdo or compartment syndrome or SLAP or achilles tears.
Hey Blair I can see what exercises would cause those injuries except compartment syndrome. Would that be caused by SDHP?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #34
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

No, it's not the SDHP.

Like rhabdo it's the insane volume in some WODs and damage to muscle tissue caused by excessive swelling.

SDHP may lead to shoulder problems according to some. I just find it a dumb movement towards olympic lifting.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #35
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
No, it's not the SDHP.

Like rhabdo it's the insane volume in some WODs and damage to muscle tissue caused by excessive swelling.

SDHP may lead to shoulder problems according to some. I just find it a dumb movement towards olympic lifting.
Cheers mate for that. You learn something new everyday
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #36
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Deleted

Last edited by Bryan Kemper : 11-09-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Pot stirring
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #37
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

A tough topic, probably fair to say "crossfit" doesnt hurt people, its poor programing combined with poor instruction and poor self assesment, or any combination, that hurts people.

Its easy to say that "you should scale" but if you have no idea what that means, then it doesnt mean much. Crossfit has holes and anyone who has any experience knows this. Both the teacher and the student are at fault in this fight.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #38
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

My bad, compartment syndrome seems to be something that can come in tandem with Rhabdo.

SDHP might be one of those movements that done in a high volume can do someone in. I do remembering hearing that when you try the row/SDHP sub it can get pretty gnarly.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #39
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Hey Blair I can see what exercises would cause those injuries except compartment syndrome. Would that be caused by SDHP?
To expand on what Blair said a bit, compartment syndrome can occur as a side effect of rhabdo. If the swelling that can accompany rhabdo is severe enough, the swelling tissue becomes restricted by the confines of the skin/body. Blood flow to the swollen tissue is cut off by the pressure and the tissue begins necrotizing. The only treatment is cutting open the skin in the affected area to relieve the pressure. It is seriously f-ing gnarly, do an image search, I dare you.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #40
Natalie L. Cox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post
To expand on what Blair said a bit, compartment syndrome can occur as a side effect of rhabdo. If the swelling that can accompany rhabdo is severe enough, the swelling tissue becomes restricted by the confines of the skin/body. Blood flow to the swollen tissue is cut off by the pressure and the tissue begins necrotizing. The only treatment is cutting open the skin in the affected area to relieve the pressure. It is seriously f-ing gnarly, do an image search, I dare you.
I couldn't even stop myself from doing a search, and now I'm scarred for life.