CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
Charles Applin

Profile:
Still less than a month into doing CF. Anyway, I've been using the beginners routine from CFJ #9 with emphasis on the CrossFit Warm-Up.

What I've done: Timed the CFWU to see if it approaches 15-20 minutes. I start out with 400 meter run. Then 3 rounds currently of 10 stick ovr-hd squats, 10 GHD sit-ups and back extensions, 7 jumping pull-ups and 7 squats. So far it's been about 18 minutes.

Now the questions:

1. I'm exploding on the lift, slow return. Is this recommended?

2. I wait about 10 seconds between exercises. This is ok, right?

3. In WOD results, people say they did CFWUx2. Does this mean they did 2 CFWU of 3 rounds for total of 6 rounds, or they just did 2 rounds.

4. In the (hopefully not to distant) future, I should be able to do 15 reps for three rounds. If the time on this drops to much, should rounds be added to keep it between 15-20 minutes?

5. If muscle ups get tossed into the CFWU to sub the PU and Dips, should it be at 15 or 5 reps.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Charles -

Welcome! Let me take a stab at your questions -

1) Are you talking about jumping pull ups? If so, that's good.

2) Rest as little as necessary.

3) CFWUx2 usually means they did two rounds of the CFWU. (at least that's what I mean when I post it)

4) For the warmup - the goal is to get warmed up, if you do it faster and are loose and ready to tackle the WOD, all the better. You may want add additional training into your warmup once you can do it quickly (handstand pushups, Oly lifts, etc.)

hope that helps!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
what's with having goals for the warmup? it doesn't make sense to me. focus on improving your times and numbers in the actual workout. if you're just starting out, why worry about cramming as much as possible in to the warmup? it will just detract from the workout. you could never do the CFWU -- or any warmup -- and still be a great crossfitter.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Workout of the Day
Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 AM   #5
Charles Applin

Profile:
Andrew, I posted that I'm just starting out. I'm using the beginners routine that takes about 12 weeks. If you've seen it, it's not too intense early on such as one day is just run 400 meters. The other exercise deal with deadlifts, thrusts and over-head squats.

So yes, I'm taking the CFWU portion more serious at it accounts for 60% of my workout for now. Gets me prepared for when I take on the actual WOD. Even then, if I'm going to spend 15 minutes on CFWU shouldn't it be a quality 15 minutes? I taking the attitude right now that I'll do a full CFWU no matter what the WOD turns out to be. Might change my mind on that once the reality hits of course. And yes, I'll concentrate on doing the WOD at the best level when that time comes. Just not the time just yet.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
charles,

i totally respect that you're just starting out and want to get a base before you tackle the other stuff. but i think your energies are a little misplaced. if you want to get fit fast, just jump right in and start doing scaled WODs. why sit on the sidelines when you can get in the game? if you get your numbers up as soon as possible, doing the CFWU will not even be a question. concentrate on getting your bigs lifts up to par will get you fitter faster than trying to master the CFWU.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Charles Applin

Profile:
I'm removing the 400m run from the beginning of the warm-up. After I get my pull-ups and dips to 10 (should be about 2 weeks). I'll be building up to 15 reps for 3 rounds after that (should take another month). After that, I'll work on replacing the jumping pull-ups with kips.

Plus, I moved back to doing the BrandX scaled WOD's since it's more fun anyway.

For what it's worth, I'm doing the sit-ups and back extensions on one of those plyometric balls with my feet anchored by a strap on my wall. Pretty good range of motion and much cheaper than a GHD (though I would like to get one of those). Only fell on my butt once.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
i think its a good strategy; and you're right, it is more fun to do the WOD! taking the 400 out will just give you more juice for the WOD.