CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
Colin Dutton

Profile:
Question from a Noobie

Good Morning to my new crossfit family- I'm excited to be on this forum to be able to ask as many dumb questions as I can.... so I apologize in advance if my newness frustrates the living hell out of you.

A little about my background- I am a lifelong athlete who always trended on the huskier side, but used my size/strength to my advantage in high school to get recruited to be a thrower on a D1 track program. I got super strong as a hammer thrower, but also super pudgy, so when I graduated about 6 years ago, I decided to change all that. Anyway, I've tried various things with various results since then, and about a year ago, my brother in law introduced me to crossfit, but it wasn't really until I saw the games that I saw it as something I should get into.

First question- I'm used to spending no less than 45 mins in the gym finishing a workout, but I see a lot of workouts that will tell you to do as many rounds as possible in 7, 10, of 20 minutes, and thats it. So, if you complete said workout, if you still have evergy left, would you go do something else? For example, if you have a workout that appears to be leg/back heavy, after the WOD, if you had the energy to do so, would you go do a few more leg/back strengthening exercises? I'm sure this is covered in the FAQ section of the crossfit site, but I'd really like to hear the perspectives of the people actually doing the workouts.

Thanks for any insight you are willing to share!
CD
Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Question from a Noobie

You don't just walk in and do the 10 minute workout and walk out--you should be doing a general warmup and some specific skill/mobility work before the workout, then some mobility work afterwards to prevent some of the next day soreness. That being said, plenty of people do programs that fit their goals better than simply doing CF.com workouts. A pretty common approach is to do some PL/OL style strength work followed by a 5-10 minute conditioning workout, 3-5x per week.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Colin Dutton

Profile:

Thanks EM. Does the same go for CFE? If I'm doing another workout 3 hours earlier/later, should I still do some extra work?

OL are probably my favorites- so would the proper breakdown of the workout be:

warm up
CF WOD
OL/PL work

3 hrs later - CFE Cardio??
Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you're going to do heavy lifting you want to do it before the conditioning work--doing it afterwards will significantly impede your strength gains.

I know you have a high-level training background, but if you're new to CF I'd highly recommend that you take it slowly at first. Lifting+CF workout+CFE workout sounds like a great way to get injured or burn out. Plenty of people underestimate those workouts that are "only" 5-10 minutes, but I can assure you there are plenty of them in the 3-5 minute range that will be the most painful 3-5 minutes of your life, and you'll probably realize pretty quickly that you don't need to do anything in addition to them.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Colin-
You may also want to do some reading of Dan John's articles.
He is a former thrower and a great coach.
I have learned a lot from him.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Colin Dutton

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback, Sean, I'll look into that. I finish up my current program and start next week. If any of you care enough, I'll post my thoughts on just getting started in this thread, and maybe pick all your brains along the way.

Thanks for the support. I can tell, this is a great community to be a part of!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Joseph Kassabian

Profile:

Colin i thought the same thing coming into CF, boy was I wrong! I played D1 college hockey and then joined the military. I was in great shape my entire adult life. I saw CF and went "a 10 minute workout? That's it?" Then 10 minutes later I was on my back gasping for breath and my entire body felt like it was on fire.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Colin-
instead of posting here - in the Workout of the Day Forum - I suggest you start a log, and post in the Workout Log Forum.