CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
nathan castleman

Profile:  
I just recently discovered the website for CF and I think that the programs and WOD would be great for me. Problem..I do not have that much space to workout in at the house (what to do) and are there any CF classes near the Inland Empire in California??
Old 06-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome Nathan, trust me, space is overrated. All you need is a little imagination. In the summer time I can usually work out in my garage if I am not at the gym. If I am doing my WODs inside in the morning all I have is my kitchen which is the farthest away from our bedrooms, so as not to disturb the rest of the household sleepyheads. I sometimes do my WODs in the morning before going to work. DB thrusters don’t require anymore space than standing room. Lunges are not much different. The majority of the exercises require very little space, like I said just an imagination. Rings and pull-ups don’t need much room either, just a place to put them up. Do what you can for now until you can build upon it. If certain WODs require more room than you have, just modify the routines until you can go someplace else where space allows. There are plenty of examples here to look at, just do a search and check out: http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/ for more modification ideas. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
nathan castleman

Profile:  
thanks for the advice.

BrandXmartial arts sounds like a good place, but at 98 miles one way....its a little too far.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
Nathan, I was only suggesting you look at the scaled down WODs on line for now. I know that there are others here who live in sunny California who will be able to direct you to a place better.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Nathan: Check out the affiliates on the right hand side of the main page . . . there are affiliates all over Southern California, including Monrovia (probably the closest to you).

http://www.elitefitnessbootcamp.net/index.php

There are also affiliates in Orange County (several), San Diego County (several), and LA (again, several).
Old 06-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Peter: Thanks for posting that link!! I'm excited about the scaled WODs, only now I have to decide whether I'm a puppy or a buttercup! :rofl:

I've been trying to scale for myself for a while now, but spend so long at the gym that I think my workouts are defeating the purpose of crossfit (namely, gaining speed and endurance). So these scale-downs will definitely help me, thanks!!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
Yael:
it takes a little time but eventually you will get there. CF does not require a lot of time at all. When I started doing them at my local gym people were surprised at how quickly I was done. I would leave the gym more exhausted and sweatier than anyone else that was there for an hour or two. It’s all about mindset and perception. Change your perception of exercising and you change your mindset. Then the body will soon follow with amazing results. At 45 and with over 15 years of gym experience and marathons, I am glad that I no longer have to spend hours in the gym to feel like I have accomplished something. I still consider myself a puppy and a buttercup because I always find ways to improve myself everyday. Once your body has gained in strength, stamina, speed and endurance then you can ratchet up your WOD routines. Just this morning I went for another one of my 2 mile runs then did one of my own personal WODs (3 rounds) which included some ring work and pull-ups on a bar and rings that I set up in my garage. Oh, and I did 150ft bear crawls at the beginning of each round also. When I was done I was dripping in sweat more from the WODs than from running. Also, I could barely walk into my house. I was running a little late for work because my @$$ was really dragging. That long cold shower really felt good though. :happy:
Old 06-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Before workout: "Aww, man! I'm just a puppy? I wanna be a big dawg!"

Two minutes into workout: "I'm a buttercup!!! I'm a buttercup!!!"

Thanks again for the modifications. Something more reasonable to shoot for (for now.)