CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-18-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
William Bontcue

Profile:
First of all, I found this site last week and found it very interesting. I am a 36 year old male 5'-10" and 175#'s. I am a narcotics detective and have a busy life. I have been into fitness since high school. I have competed in almsot 100 triathlons but have since retired from that to participate in BJJ. I am a black belt in Goju karate and I teach children during the week. I run, lift weights and teach Spin classes through the week. I have a very hectic schedule. I want to start CF as my primary workouts but I am afraid that it won't be enough for me. I generally lift weights 5 days a week. Monday- chest Tuesday- back/bi's Weds- shoulders/tri's Thurs- legs Friday- tri's/bi's. Generally I run between 3 and 4 times a week doing a total of about 12-20 miles depending on schedule. MY QUESTION?- Will Crossfit maintain my physique, cardio level and fitness level if I discontinue traditional weight lifting?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
William,
1. Welcome to the board.
2. Yes.

(Message edited by jeff_m on December 18, 2005)
Old 12-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Karl Geissler

Profile:
I am a 35 yr old 5'8"-180lb deskjockey that dabbled in crossfit (and other H-I training modalities) until about a month and 1/2 ago. Trying to perform the WOD's consistently has me performing skills and lifts that I never could have attempted when I was a D1 track and field athlete. I would not sweat if you think you are going to "lose" anything.

Just my two cents

(Message edited by karl_geissler on December 18, 2005)
Old 12-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
William Bontcue

Profile:
thanks for the responses, just skeptical and trying to get past it
Old 12-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Depending on where you're starting from, CrossFit won't let you maintain where you are. Instead, you'll likely improve across many to all modalities.

How is your diet? That has a lot to do with physique and amount of fat supported.

If you're a serious powerlifter (although I don't see how you could be with the running and spin classes), you could lose some of your 1RM. Others here have. Many others improve their 1RMs (especially weak bastards, such as myself).

Anyway, welcome. I wanted to ask you why you're running those extra 12-20 miles per week. It seems like you're doing enough of that type of cardio in the spin classes (without knowing what they are or their intensity) and that the runs aren't necessarily long enough to maintain the sort of adaptations for long distance hammering like in a triathlon. Besides the pounding, you're helping convert your fast twich fibers over to slow twitch, as far as I understand it. Not a good thing.

Maybe you could sub in the WOD for some of your weightlifting and all of the running for a while (a few months) and see where you are. You'll quickly find out why there isn't more of that new-fangled "cardio" stuff around here!

The training here is much less segmented than your weightlifting program. Full-body, functional movements rule the roost. I would recommend trying not to look at individual workouts and think they're deficient in some thing or other. Rather, the WOD has a flow to it that involves the whole body across the 10 components of fitness. The WODs are bricks in the structure.

(You have read the "What is Fitness?" and "What is CrossFit?" PDFs available from the front page, haven't you?)

Wow, all I really meant to ask was about the running...

Best,
Rene'
Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
Neal Winkler

Profile:
William, the answer to your question is yes in all respects.

As far as your cardio level is concerned, you will find that all of your years of triathlons and current cardio traning will leave you unprepared for the type of cardio that is promoted by CrossFit. If you havn't tried one of the the WOD's yet that are geared towards endurance efforts (one NOT like todays), give one a try and you will see first hand. Compare your time or score to some of CrossFits best and you will be humbled.

What about your "fitness level? Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by "fitness." if fitness to you is the ability to run a marathon, then no, CrossFit will make you as fit as a program geared especially to running marathons. Read the free CrossFit journal (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf) and see how CrossFit defines Fitness.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
William - I am a triathlete and have raced from sprint to Ironman (12:20 full, 5:30 half, 2:42 Olympic, 1:09 sprint) and no amount of tri training will prepare you for CrossFit. Go do Helen...run a quarter mile, do 21 swings (grip a 50 pound dumbbell between your legs and swing it overhead using your hips and legs) then 12 pullups and then do it all again 2 more times. If you can do everything unbroken you are doing well, if you can break 12 minutes you are doing very well if you go under 10 you can really pat yourself on the back.

Fran is another killer: Load a barbell to 95 lbs (less if you need to) and clean it. Now do a front squat then stand and push press the bar overhead. Do that 21 times, then do 21 pullups. Next do each 15 times and then a last set of 9 and you are through. The best can do it in under 3 minutes, you rock if you can get under 5. Again, kudos to you if you can get through it all unbroken.

New paradigm my friend. You will get to know what intensity means if you get involved in CrossFit and your fitness level go through the roof. You don't know cardio until you do it the CF way.

Best advice: Start. No examination, no discussion or contemplation, trust us, trust me as a fellow slow twitcher. This is the way.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:58 AM   #8
William Bontcue

Profile:
great replies, thank you all. I am still reading and preparing equipment to start and no doubt, i will!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #9
John Burket

Profile:
William,

If you really get strapped for time, there is always isometrics, which takes mere seconds per exercise. For more information, I posted a little for a quick read at the link below.

To your success,
Yochanan
http://sookagym.tripod.com
Old 12-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
Not trying to be the voice of dissent, but it should be pointed out that if you have a specialized view of fitness (e.g. powerlifting numbers as was pointed out, your time on a triathlon, etc.) and you drop that training to do only Crossfit, it's possible you could see a loss in that area. Crossfit is a GPP program and any specialized work should be added onto it as long as you manage your recovery. Most people who come here change their view of fitness to something much broader than they what they originally thought.