CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Omar Mendoza

Profile:
Dumped a Squat Clean in a Globo Gym

I'm recovering from an injury that prevents me from doing many crossFit exercises, so for now I'm doing what I can in a globo gym. Thankfully, I'm not very hindered when it comes to most lifts, only plyometric stuff. Anyways, any feed back on my Clean would me much appreciated.

Clean 160# (PR)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZYfGQE2E4

Clean 165# (Fail) 130914
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsFOa...ature=youtu.be

Sorry about the excess footage, I'm not sure how to cut stuff out.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Jason Denny

Profile:
Re: Dumped a Squat Clean in a Globo Gym

In the first video you never opened your hips. No explosive 3rd pull. Remember, you lead with your shoulders and your arms will follow.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Really the big thing is you need to tighten everything up before you do anything else. Theres a lot of slack in your body on the setup, the bar is floating away from you from the get go and you land a little soft. Get your back tight and keep it tight the whole lift.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm super new to olympic lifts (this is my 6th session working on my clean). When you say tighten everything up, what exactly do you mean? I think I understand, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
In the first video you never opened your hips. No explosive 3rd pull. Remember, you lead with your shoulders and your arms will follow.
By opening up my hips, you mean shove my knees out?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Mendoza View Post
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm super new to olympic lifts (this is my 6th session working on my clean). When you say tighten everything up, what exactly do you mean? I think I understand, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks.
I mean mostly in your back and also arms. Get your shoulder blades pulled back for the former, and make sure you are not pulling with your arms until the bar gets to the upper thigh/hip contact on the third pull for the latter.

I think it would help to not fidget as much on the setup. Get down like you are, find your hand and foot position and set your grip, and raise up into your setup such that you put tension on your legs entirely. That little butt up-and-down dance is superfluous - I used to do that too when I was learning.

And no, when Jason says open hips, he means make sure they are coming all the way to extension before the last pull and dropping under the bar.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Great, thank you. One more question if you don't mind; should I keep the weight low while I'm learning technique and for digital coaching purposes, or should I follow my normal strength program?
Old 09-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Kind of depends - what strength program are you following? Youre not doing anything that I think is going to hurt you at this point, it is just inefficient and stregth wise you should be able to do much more than that probably.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Kind of depends - what strength program are you following? Youre not doing anything that I think is going to hurt you at this point, it is just inefficient and stregth wise you should be able to do much more than that probably.

Well, as of now I'm following The Outlaw Way, and modifying what I need because I can't do plyometric work, and I'm in a globo gym. But, next month I'll be back at my affiliate doing a lot of met con training (unfortunately).

I want to focus more on weightliftng, but I also want to be a trainer some day, so I'm thinking staying at an affiliate as opposed to building my own gym/staying at a globo gym will be beneficial.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Honestly, I would recommend you not do something advanced like Outlaw Way at this point, especially if you are modding it such that it really isn't as written anymore. I would barely feel comfortable at my skill level following that program, and while I am no beast to be sure, I'm pretty efficient at most if not all of the CF skills and snatch 215, c&j 245. That's just my opinion though.

If you want to do some weightlifting focus, you might try out one of the programs at Catalyst Athletics - something like this one http://catalystathletics.com/article...?articleID=131 wfs