CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Jack Farrell

Profile:
Crossfit and Hot Yoga 3x/week each...thoughts?

For the last couple weeks, I've been combining hot yoga (not bikram) and Crossfit. For example, my weekly schedule has looked something like this...

Sunday: Hot Yoga
Monday: Crossfit
Tuesday: Crossfit
Wednesday: Hot Yoga
Thursday: Hot Yoga
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Crossfit

I have discovered a surprising synergy between the two activities. For example, two of my biggest Crossfit challenges have been (1) flexibility and (2) muscle endurance. Hot yoga has helped me make gains in these areas.

Has anyone else tried this combination? Any thoughts on tweaking the above schedule?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Sean Seale

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Hot Yoga 3x/week each...thoughts?

I've never tried that combination, but I'd say (like for any other "program") stick to it for 4-6 weeks and see the gains you made. then make some tweaks if you feel like it, and assess again after 4-6 weeks
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I do Bikram twice a week with 4 CrossFit days (6 heavy lifts & 3 met-cons). Seems to be working well.

The yoga is a recovery activity. It doesn't compare to CrossFit for building strength and conditioning. If your new and find the endurance part of holding poses difficult then you are probably getting some benefit from the yoga for conditioning.

For me it is all about loosening up.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Oliver Bradley

Profile:

Personally I'm not a fan of hot yoga. It intentionally uses high heat to stress the participant which activates the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight response). The amount of sweat produced in one of these classes also adds stress to the body. The heat does aid in making the joints and muscles more pliable but I think there are better yoga methodologies that accomplish the same or more without this stressor. The poses in the Bikram series are easy under normal conditions and it is the heat that makes them taxing.

Ashtanga yoga uses movement and breath to generate heat, trains strength and flexibility simultaneously and is much more calming that Bikram. The flexibility gains made during an Ashtanga class tend not to snap back as much as the Bikram ones after leaving the environment. There are other types of yoga that may work as well but I am more familiar with Ashtanga.

In general I think yoga is a great complimentary exercise protocol for crossfit athletes. I'm just not a fan of Bikram. I don't like the bright lights, the cheerleader in the front of the room with the headset on, the heat, the constant encouragement to push past your limits or the giant mirror. I feel like Bikram took the soul out of yoga and created a franchise he could sell to Americans.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Jack Farrell

Profile:

Thanks all! Anyone else?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

I do CrossFit (main site) Monday - Friday and Bikram Saturday and Sunday. Once a month I take 4 days completely off. Seems to be working well for me. Probably the placebo effect but I feel that the yoga heals up anything that's been bothering me during the week.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sounds good to me.

I think spaced out enough, they could probably done in tandem each day if you had the time.

Or Something like CF-CF-Yoga. Or alternating.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Yoga is very useful for mobility and muscle conditioning as well...for anyone who has ever done yoga personally they wouldn't understand....but I think it takes a lot of core and body weight strength to do a lot of the moves...I incorporate it into my crossfit journey as well.....defiantly will help you improve im a believer