CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Beau Davis

Profile:
Question about diet and fat-loss (the one-millionth, I'm sure)

I'm 6'2" and 195#. I estimate I'm around 13% bf. Purely for aesthetic reasons, I'm trying to get my bf below 10%.

I WoD five days per week, Mon-Fri. I've done rough calculations and I'm taking in around 3,200 calories a day (give or take). Not only do I WoD, but I actually work at a pretty big-name "globo" gym. The job can be somewhat physical at times - lots of multi-tasking and cleaning up the weight room at night. So I figure if my resting caloric burn is 2,000 calories, surely around 3,000 can't be hurting me with an active lifestyle.

Anyway, here's my typical daily diet:

Breakfast:
4 egg whites
1 link of turkey sausage OR 5 slices turkey bacon
1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 tbsp agave nectar, 1 banana

Meal 2 (1.5 - 2 hours pre-WoD):
4 - 8 oz of some variety of meat
2 cups steamed veggie
1 avacado or 1/2 of a sweet potato

Post WoD:
2 scoops whey protein (mixed w/water)

Meal 3 (smoothie):
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tbsp milled flaxseed
1 scoop whey protein
1 cup fruit/berries
1/2 cup almond milk

Meal 4:
1 can of tuna or 6 - 8 oz of boiled shrimp
2 cups of mixed green salad
1 apple

Meal 5:
(pretty much the same as meal 2)

Meal 6:
1 scoop casein protein (mixed w/water)
1 tbsp milled flaxseed

Oh, and between meals 5 and 6, I eat peanut butter until I feel like stopping (normally about 4 hefty tbsp).

So, I'm not getting fatter or anything. I just feel like I've stagnated. Or maybe the fat's just coming off really slowly since I'm already kind of lean. Or the peanut butter is killing me.

Any suggestions to help me get over the hump are very much appreciated!

Last edited by Beau Davis : 09-20-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Question about diet and fat-loss (the one-millionth, I'm sure)

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Weight Loss. (wfs)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

If you are trying to lose fat, why does 1/3 of your diet include protein powder, instead of actual food?

The PB also isn't helping, either limit yourself or drop nut butters entirely if you are trying to lose fat. 4tbs is probably too much... cut it down to one spoonful at most if you have to have it.

ETA - Eat the whole eggs! all the good nutrients are in the yolk.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
If you are trying to lose fat, why does 1/3 of your diet include protein powder, instead of actual food?

The PB also isn't helping, either limit yourself or drop nut butters entirely if you are trying to lose fat. 4tbs is probably too much... cut it down to one spoonful at most if you have to have it.

ETA - Eat the whole eggs! all the good nutrients are in the yolk.
x2 all of this
Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
x2 all of this
I don't eat whole eggs because my bad cholesterol was about 10 points too high and the doc told me to lower it. I drink protein powder because I'm pressed for time right after my WOD and trying to eat a whole food meal while I'm getting ready for and driving to work is out of the question. Also, after being laid off last year, I unfortunately don't have nearly as much money to spend on food as I used to; protein powder is much cheaper than chicken, fish, beef, and pork.

I'll admit, I could cut out the casein at the end of the day and replace it with eggs or some other whole food source, but I bought the casein, so I'm going to use it until it is gone.

Another thing about the eggs: I think I might be allergic. I had a pretty frightening anaphylactic episode this morning right at the end of my breakfast. I don't know if the eggs, avocado, or the Aleve I took this morning caused it. But I made an appointment with an allergy doctor to find out.

But y'all are right, the peanut butter can't be helping my cause. I've suspected that if I limited it and my minor cheating on the weekends (football season kills me), I'd probably have much more success.

Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely wish I could eat nothing but whole food, but right now it's a bit unrealistic given my wife's and my budget.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Davis View Post
I don't eat whole eggs because my bad cholesterol was about 10 points too high and the doc told me to lower it..
This is utter hooey. Studies have conclusively proven that dietary cholesterol does not significantly effect serum cholesterol, except in those with already severe systemic inflammation (meaning your dietary cholesterol is so unbelievably tiny in its impact, but for those already at the "limit" it can be what pushes them over the line). If that is you, you should be working on fixing the systemic inflammation, not cutting dietary cholesterol.

You came looking for suggestions, but more or less you are going to get the same thing from anyone here, and you've made clear you aren't going to make the recommended suggestions (except for maybe the PB, which should make some difference). So, really all I can do to help you along from where you've left it, is to say best of luck, and the only other thing that is an option to you that I would recommend given your limitations, would be to start explicitly logging all your food (weigh and measure).

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 09-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
This is utter hooey. Studies have conclusively proven that dietary cholesterol does not significantly effect serum cholesterol, except in those with already severe systemic inflammation (meaning your dietary cholesterol is so unbelievably tiny in its impact, but for those already at the "limit" it can be what pushes them over the line). If that is you, you should be working on fixing the systemic inflammation, not cutting dietary cholesterol.

You came looking for suggestions, but more or less you are going to get the same thing from anyone here, and you've made clear you aren't going to make the recommended suggestions (except for maybe the PB, which should make some difference). So, really all I can do to help you along from where you've left it, is to say best of luck, and the only other thing that is an option to you that I would recommend given your limitations, would be to start explicitly logging all your food (weigh and measure).
For now the best I can do is cut out the peanut butter and replace the casein with meat or eggs. And as you can see, I already have explicitly logged my food and do a pretty good job of measuring it out. But just to clarify, you're suggesting replacing all whey with whole food sources of protein, correct? This might be possible in the near future, I'm just waiting on a couple of career-related things right now.

And I totally agree about the dietary cholesterol. I hated cutting the egg yolks. But how would you go about fixing the systemic inflammation? From what would that be stemming?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

a few comments. first, at your height and weight, you likely need to focus on adding muscle not losing fat. it is hard to burn fat and maintain low bodyfat when you don't have much muscle. i am certain that if you focus on increasing muscle and getting all your lift numbers up that you will find the bodyfat % takes care of itself. and even if it stays the same you will likely be much happier with the way you look. second, getting below 10% bodyfat is a serious goal that takes a really strong desire and committment for most people. yes, there are some people with genetics that make it possible, but for the majority of people it takes work. that means if you are serious about it then it has to be your primary goal, not one of many goals that all get equal attention. it also means that "i'm too busy", " i eat this instead of that for convenience", " minor cheats on weekends because of football" are not compatible with your goal. if you truly don't have time or money right now then you may have to adjust your goal. it sucks but sometimes this is life. lastly, i don't think you need to replace all protein powder with meat to get to low bodyfat. alot of really lean people, including bodybuilders, use alot of protein powder.

ok done with comments, now a question. what does your training look like?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
a few comments. first, at your height and weight, you likely need to focus on adding muscle not losing fat. it is hard to burn fat and maintain low bodyfat when you don't have much muscle. i am certain that if you focus on increasing muscle and getting all your lift numbers up that you will find the bodyfat % takes care of itself. and even if it stays the same you will likely be much happier with the way you look. second, getting below 10% bodyfat is a serious goal that takes a really strong desire and committment for most people. yes, there are some people with genetics that make it possible, but for the majority of people it takes work. that means if you are serious about it then it has to be your primary goal, not one of many goals that all get equal attention. it also means that "i'm too busy", " i eat this instead of that for convenience", " minor cheats on weekends because of football" are not compatible with your goal. if you truly don't have time or money right now then you may have to adjust your goal. it sucks but sometimes this is life. lastly, i don't think you need to replace all protein powder with meat to get to low bodyfat. alot of really lean people, including bodybuilders, use alot of protein powder.

ok done with comments, now a question. what does your training look like?
Thanks for the input! I would definitely love to add some strength and get my numbers up on some of my lifts. Honestly, though, I'm not dissatisfied with my appearance (aside from the little bit of bf I'm carrying on my lower back). I know 195 sounds light, but I think I carry it well. I've definitely looked worse. CrossFit has done wonders.

My training, as I said, is five WODs per week, Mon-Fri. They normally consist of a dynamic warm-up (jogging, mobility, bodyweight tabata, etc...), then some strength stuff (5 to 7 sets of an OLY lift or something like that) then a metcon.

Today is a little different. The buy in:
100 DU
-rest 1 min
50 DU
-rest 1 min
25 DU
*10 minute cap

WOD: "Nine of Spades"
21-15-9
Box Jump (24")
KB Swing (53#)
SDHP (95#)

So sometimes it's something like that. We did CrossFit Total yesterday, so that's probably why we're not doing any heavy lifting today. But you get the idea.

What, if anything different, would you recommend?

The great thing about our box is that it's always 'open gym' if we don't choose to WOD.

EDIT: Also, just fyi, the responses in this thread have strengthened my resolve to eliminate the peanut butter and cut out cheating on the weekends, football season be dam*ed.

Last edited by Beau Davis : 09-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
Larry Bruce

Profile:

So if you are burning around 3000 calories a day, it seems that your diet is around 2000 before the PB. Didn't plug it into a calc but it seems like a big deficit and probably why you are craving the peanut butter. Even after the PB you're no more than 2400.

That's a big enough deficit to progress. How long have you been eating this way and what are your results so far?

You could eat more grains, pseudo grains or starchy tubers instead of PB as your carb intake is quite low for an athletic lifestyle. Sufficent carbs will protect against lean body mass loss too.