CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Graeme Howland

Profile:
Re: Snatch standards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kodadek View Post
The thing is that 99% of people who can snatch their bodyweight+++ don't give a rip about their 15RM.
This, I would think you would get more athletic benefit from trying to increase your 1RM snatch and C+J than 15reps where form is going to suffer. Work toward a heavier total and things like Grace and Isabel get a lot easier -- look at Josh Everett.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Josh Everett didn't get to where he is by training for a 15rm. He merely would use a weight he can do 15rm which is 1rm for many crossfitters. Technique trumps and he has a boatload of training experience in his bag.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Jordan Feigenbaum

Profile:

Hmm, I can power snatch 190lb and I weight 190. I know for sure I can't clean and jerk 225 15x though without breaking up the sets, maybe 4 or 5 in a row at a time. My max clean and jerk is only 265 though, and this is a power clean. I still don't have the flexibility to get under the bar in any sort of controllable matter, nor do I have bumpers....yet, and it's scary to attempt maxes without being able to get out of the way of the weights.

I think 15x 225 c & j is way more useful than a BW snatch though, mainly because I'm nowhere near a 15x c & j.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Josh Everett didn't get to where he is by training for a 15rm. He merely would use a weight he can do 15rm which is 1rm for many crossfitters. Technique trumps and he has a boatload of training experience in his bag.
That's the point I was trying to make, there is more benefit training up your max lifts and dialing in good technique than there is going for weird stuff like 15RM. When you have huge 1RM's and tight technique, everything else would get easier.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

My bad, I'm not a morning person at all I guess and I had been awake for some time when I posted that.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
Pascal Toussaint

Profile:

People who can snatch their BW and above haven't build up to it by doing high reps sets. Everything above 5 in OL is a warm up.

Snatching 95 lbs for 15 won't necessarily make you snatch 150.

Myself as an example, could hang power snatch 85kg for 5-6 but struggled to snatch 95kg from the floor. Broke it by doing singles and singles and singles.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

A 15RM snatch (wfs) is probably not going to help you out in anything at all. It's the king of the fast lifts, making it a marathon lift isn't exactly using it to its purpose. OHS I can see, but not snatch. Same with CJ
Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Andrew, it's the same argument that CF uses for every movement. Take a huge compound movement like the snatch, that requires coordination, balance, accuracy, not to mention speed, power, and strength, and then do it at an intensity that will induce metabolic adaptation. I just think that enough affiliates have proven the primacy of strength and power that we shouldn't be doing metcons nearly enough as max efforts, whether that max effort takes place with a barbell movement (from deadlifts to squat snatches and everything in between), rings, sprinting or whatever else. Look for the CrossFit Wichita Falls training program PDF - good stuff.

Last edited by Andrew H. Meador : 09-20-2009 at 04:34 PM.