CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Francis Palattao

Profile:
How to improve flexibility so back wont arch during lifts.

I video taped myself when I was doing some DL yesterday and noticed that my low back was'nt fully straight although the whole time I thought it was straight.

What flexibility exercises can I do to correct this. I currently have difficulty even touching my toes and I do sit at a desk all day. (i.e. good mornings, hands to toes stretch)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: How to improve flexibility so back wont arch during lifts.

post the video
Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Re: sitting at a desk all day - You can stretch your hams while sitting by lifting your butt up high while keeping your legs on the chair.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

you mean your lower back is rounding out? Usually "arching" refers to the opposite.

Try this:
stand upright, take a broomstick and place it on your back.

make sure it's in contact w/the back of your head, mid back and your tailbone.

Now, bend over while maintaining contact w/all three points.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Randy Nguyen

Profile:

This rounding of your back signals a number of dangerous things. You can really hurt yourself lifting like that. Stop what you are doing now and fix your form!!

First thing: You are lifting too much weight. Form is more important than what you can put up. Lower the weights until you do not see the rounding of your back. Then work on form with this weight and progressively move back up.

Also, Try looking up as you lift. This will make your back arch in which is what you want (it will feel funny at first but really over-emphasize that inward arch). For now absolutely no looking down it automatically makes your back round out. Don't even look forward.

1)Lower the weight,
2)Turn Camera on,
3)Grab the weights (hook grip of course) and do your deadlift.

You should already see a dramatic change. Move up progressively and force yourself to have perfect form. This forces your weak muscles to get stronger so they can catch up to your stronger ones for an overall better lift.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 AM   #6
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

I actually developed a warmup routine to aid people in squatting but it works just as well for anything lower body because it contains a lot of dynamic mobility for the legs and hips. Try it out and let me know how it helps. Take a picture of yourself doing a squat/deadlift before doing this warmup and afterwards. I don't think this warm up has ever failed to improve mobility 100% of the time.

http://vimeo.com/5724321 (WFS)
Old 09-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Francis Palattao

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
Re: sitting at a desk all day - You can stretch your hams while sitting by lifting your butt up high while keeping your legs on the chair.
Not sure what you mean by lift your butt up high. Are you basically saying just sit up straight
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Francis Palattao

Profile:

Hi Randy,

I totally agree with you, but for some reason it doesn't matter how light the bar is my lower back just seemed rounded.... as I go lower.

Searching online it seems like I have a hamstring glute flexibility issue... Any suggested ways to stretch and correct the form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Nguyen View Post
This rounding of your back signals a number of dangerous things. You can really hurt yourself lifting like that. Stop what you are doing now and fix your form!!

First thing: You are lifting too much weight. Form is more important than what you can put up. Lower the weights until you do not see the rounding of your back. Then work on form with this weight and progressively move back up.

Also, Try looking up as you lift. This will make your back arch in which is what you want (it will feel funny at first but really over-emphasize that inward arch). For now absolutely no looking down it automatically makes your back round out. Don't even look forward.

1)Lower the weight,
2)Turn Camera on,
3)Grab the weights (hook grip of course) and do your deadlift.

You should already see a dramatic change. Move up progressively and force yourself to have perfect form. This forces your weak muscles to get stronger so they can catch up to your stronger ones for an overall better lift.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Francis Palattao

Profile:

Thanks Brian!

I'll try to incorporate this on my warmup routine. Would you suggest as this is the first thing I do before my warmup or after my warmup. Especially the squatting and putting your elbows in between and pushing out to get a good stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
I actually developed a warmup routine to aid people in squatting but it works just as well for anything lower body because it contains a lot of dynamic mobility for the legs and hips. Try it out and let me know how it helps. Take a picture of yourself doing a squat/deadlift before doing this warmup and afterwards. I don't think this warm up has ever failed to improve mobility 100% of the time.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Michael Ingley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post

I'm going to start using this.