CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-05-2003, 09:15 AM   #1
LEE NEWBOLT

Profile:  
Hello,

I would firstly just like to say what a great board this is, I have been educating myself on sports science mainly through bodybuilding sites so far. Its good to find a site more specific to sport and fitness.

i have just finished studying a masters degree in a medical science related subject and Iam hoping to put what i have learnt about training and sports medicine into practice. For the last 6 years i have been training in Muay Thai (Thai boxing)on and off depending on other commitments and circumstances. Iam about to leave uni and hope to start training more seriously and compete in my sport.

I have looked through the crossfit workout and believe it is a good all round workout for developing strength, power and endurance relative to sport.

Forgive me if i have missed anything but i have not seen anything on how many times a week these exercises should be performed or anything about running over various distances (e.g. heart rates, HIIT etc).

I look forward to contributing to and learning a great deal from this site.

Thanks
Lee
Old 09-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Lee,

Welcome to Crossfit. I'm sure you can make some great contributions with your medical background.

The Workout of the Days (WOD) are posted on the main page of the website following a 3-day-on 1-day-off format. Apparently, this gives the best balance between workload and recovery. Some people have successfully adopted a 5-on 2-off format to stay more in sync with the traditional work week.

Although Crossfit WODs will occasionally feature distance work, I don't think it's considered the bread and butter of the program. Several Crossfitters have seen improvement in their cardiovascular fitness without doing the muscle-devouring, timely distance work on a regular basis.

As far as heart rate monitors go, read David Wood's post at http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/1232.html. I think he does a nice job of summing up that issue. In that same post he refers to the Crossfit Journal. If you haven't done so already, start subscribing - it's an outstanding value in my opinion.

Hope this helps. Let us know when you start fighting!!!

-Ryan
Old 09-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Lee-

Welcome! Check out the Foundations page and the free Crossfit Journal. I think this will lay the theoretical and practical framework behind Crossfit.
Robb
Old 09-07-2003, 07:39 PM   #4
Coach

Profile:

Welcome Lee,

Many don't realize it but we are a fairly advanced HIIT program built around mixed modal highly functional movements rather than traditional bike, run, swim workouts.

The resultant adaptation appears by all participating to substantially exceed traditional "cardio"(I hate that word)workouts in terms of breadth and depth of adaptation and application.

Coach
Old 09-09-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
LEE

Profile:  
Thanks for your replies.

I have been reading the WOD's. While i believe the WOD can be very intensive in some days it doesnt seem a lot of training for the advanced athlete in others. Would i be correct in thinking that sports specific training/sparring and additional circuits etc depending on your sport should be performed in addition to the WOD?

My reason behind this is that Iam in the process of putting together a training plan which will involve upper body work and some kind of running (Hill sprint to failure, 8km, sprints, 5x 3mins run 1min rest) every day apart from rest days. However if I include crossfit and the WOD involves running/squats i will leave additional running out (and similarly for the circuits etc).

What do you guys think to this? Do you perform additional workouts to WOD tailored to your sport?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2003, 01:30 PM   #6
TJ Cooper

Profile:
Lee, the concept of leave it all on the floor is very easy to say but few do. If its actually done, we find it not really needed and nearly impossible to endure any supplemental work. That being said many of us budoka will workout in our respective disciplines before and after for a variety of reasons ( I often warm up for the workout by driving through my routines, and other times i go throught he motions after the WOD to build skill.) There are times when the workout is more of a functional training concept ( handstands, muscle-ups etc..simply because the coordination needed to push hard is not there yet..those days we find a all out katie bar the door attitude is tossed into the martial workout. I think in short your concept is fine as long as you mix the modalities as religiously as possible.