CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-21-2003, 04:34 AM   #1
Joseph

Profile:

Hi All,

Thought I'd just do a little intro since a number of you have thoughtfully posted helpful comments and advice. Started dabbling with the WOD about 2 months ago along with the run-PT program I had been following off and on for about a year. Initially I had great success with that program, but then things started to kind of peter out; not because of that program, but because of the off and on part. Previous to that I was not sedentary, but was doing more of the off and on and a bit of this--a bit of that program.

I've been following the WOD for a total of 10 days now and I'm stunned. First, Coach's maxim of consistency before intensity is right on the mark. I have made more progress on my weak points in two weeks than 6 months of what I was doing before. Second, the advice, comments, and encouragement here provide a level of motivation I could not find elsewhere.

I am reacquainting myself with weights, continuing to build on a PT base, and running more comfortably. Increased general work capacity is noticeable by the day in all areas of my life.

And then there is the learning. This is the most exciting part: Olympic lifts, gymnastics, swings, snatches, thrusters, wall ball, and negotiations with Pukie.

This is a good place to be.

Joseph

Old 09-21-2003, 05:11 AM   #2
David Heyer

Profile:
Joseph,
Welcome and keep up the good work.
Something I find interesting is that some people REFUSE to even try these workouts because of: not enough time, family, career, their own personal beliefs, periodization, it's too hard, etc. It is sad!
I tell everyone interested (and many who aren't) to try crossfit for one week and you won't look back. Unfortunately, very few actually try it. They want the glory, but don't have the guts. The few (and proud) that do, LOVE CROSSFIT. They can't get enough.
Spread the word.

Dave
Old 09-21-2003, 07:23 AM   #3
Gary

Profile:

Joseph,

Welcome from another newbie.

Dave is right - part of the Crossfit paradigm is physical, but much of it is mental. Too many look at the WODs and say "I can't do that." and move on. As you've already discovered we each can do more than we thought once we actually tried the WODs. Once you make that discovery look out!

Keep trying, work on form, keep experimenting, keep asking questions, and keep up the good work.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Joseph-

Welcome and congrats on remembering Coach's words. It is hard for folks to wrap thier minds around the idea that simply finishing the WOD, under any conditions is a major accomplishment and will produce benefits beyond reason. As the intensity is added this is truly where elite fitness is born.
Robb
Old 09-25-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Welcome aboard!