CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Rayne Gray

Profile:
DL Form Check

He ya'll,

This is my first attempt at a DL 1rep max. I think my form looks good, but I would be grateful for some second opinions.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6gwmNXiV2ZU WFS??

A couple of things I noted:

#1 I noticed my rear end raise slightly ahead of my torso on a couple of the lifts.

#2 When the weight got near max, I pulled and let it hit the deck from the top position. I do not know if this is considerd poor form, but I did not feel like lowering the weight

Thanks in advance for your critique

Rayne

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 06-03-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
David Gessen

Profile:
Re: DL Form Check

I think you feet need to be closer to the bar.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Jason M Struck

Profile:

How tall are you?

you have long femurs and long arms, a lot is conspiring to make you a decent deadlifter, I suspect much more so than squatting.

You do raise your hips too quickly/too early. Otherwise, it's looking pretty good.

With some concentration you will pull 500 soon.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Hey there big guy,

One thing to note is changing the camera angle. It's a bit out in front of you, and would be better to see perpendicular to the way you're facing to analyze the movement.

-Your chin should be level with the ground during the lift so that you aren't looking downward. You don't ever want to allow your spine to be in an unnatural positioning when lifting.

-You are definitely raising your hips and butt early in the movement. I think you would benefit from starting with your butt lower. With your size, this will probably mean bringing the bar closer to the shins and over the toes. You don't want the angle of your back to change until mid-thigh.

If there is one thing to work on, it would be beginning the lift with your butt lower. It's kind of like getting into the parallel seat of the squat, so to speak. Remember to emphasize driving your heels through the floor when beginning from a lower position. This will take the emphasis out of your back.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Agree with what's been said above, but you also need to pinch your shoulder blades together. This will give you a tighter posterior chain throughout the movement.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Rayne Gray

Profile:

Thanks for the feed back ya'll, it is much appreciated and will be put into affect next time I DL.

Jason, I am 6'2", So I guess I have relativley long arms and femurs (never gave it much consideration). I like your vision of 500lbs and I think that is a fantastic goal.

Cheers
Rayne
Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Good point on "pinching the shoulder blades back", I forgot to mention that.

You don't want to ever let your scapulae protract forward (in other words, the shoulders blades sloping forward or not being pinched back). There's more potential for injury and less power production if they protract (as opposed to retracting, or pinching back).
Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
Scott Erb

Profile:

Nice job pulling 405! Agree with the posters above. You should always start the lift with the bar touching our shins. Yes, you'll get great drag marks, bruises, lose the occasional chunk of skin. Oh well. But, DL is a lift that is basically torque about the hip joint, so that extra inch is costing about 35 lb-ft of torque. Said another way your 405 is 440 until you are clearing your knees. Concentrate on heels - best way I have found is to DL with your toes pulled up off the floor.

If you are in a PL competition, you'll red-light the lift for dropping the weight. If you are going for a PR/doing crossfit, keep it under control when you need to and recognize that there is some amount of risk in dropping 400 lbs of iron near your feet/other lifters.

After the minor nit-piks, overall, very good form. Jason is right - you'll be pulling 500 soon. A couple of form tweaks will get you to 450 very quickly.
Best,
Scott
Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Slightly off topic, but where can I find the Eddie Vedder cover you used in your video? It's fantastic.

Melissa
Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
Jesse Dahl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lascek View Post
You are definitely raising your hips and butt early in the movement. I think you would benefit from starting with your butt lower. With your size, this will probably mean bringing the bar closer to the shins and over the toes. You don't want the angle of your back to change until mid-thigh.

If there is one thing to work on, it would be beginning the lift with your butt lower. It's kind of like getting into the parallel seat of the squat, so to speak. Remember to emphasize driving your heels through the floor when beginning from a lower position. This will take the emphasis out of your back.
Wouldn't setting the butt higher fix butt-movement-before-bar-movement?