CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Hew Fung

Profile:
Push jerk elbow position

I seem to have a hard time with my push jerk form and I'd appreciate some help. The way I understand it, I should have the bar in a rack position at the start of the lift, with elbows fairly high. My problem is that I find I can handle a bit more weight if my elbows are low but this is murder on the wrists. Though I noticed this problem during yesterday's 3-3-3-3-3 WOD, I suppose that this would apply to any overhead lift that starts from the rack position. Why do I have so much less power from a proper rack position?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Push jerk elbow position

Having the bar in the rack position means that you cannot effectively press the weight. For the jerk however, you're not meant to. If you lay a PVC pipe across your deltoids when your arms are sticking straight out, it should rest there. Then, if you do the push-jerk movement, it should at least pop up a few inches from the explosive maneuver. For a jerk, all you need to do is get it off your shoulders, and then drive your body under the bar as fast as possible. A jerk is more about getting your body underneath the bar than it is pressing the weight overhead.