CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Paul Williams

Profile:
I'm in the UK (North-east) and I was wondering how you learnt the oly lifts used in crossfit?

Did you have a coach or are you self-taught?

What is the best way to learn?

End of my 1st week completing WOD, very happy!
Old 12-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Go to the page of Crossfit London or Crossfit central Scotland. You will get some good advice.
btw there comes a seminar next spring in London especialy for the olympic lifts.
Have fun, Johan
Old 12-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
The crossfit journal began a series of articles written by Coach Burgerner and Tony B 2 months ago. Excellent stuff and a great price.

Dwayne
Old 12-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
Travis Loest

Profile:
I'm self taught on the o-lifts, read as much as I could find and watch alot of video.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I learned the basics under Steve Kenyon while working out in the football players Weight class 1st semester senior year.
The drills I remember were snatch balance, jump shrugs. We did OHS, but I don't remember doing them in a snatch grip. C&J and snatches were in there too. I don't remember push jerk or hang cleans/snatches as they were all from the floor.

I don't think I really understood the Oly lifts to any extent till CF. It helped string the basics together, especially the hip pop. I never was good at snatch beyond the jump shrug. I just muscled the overhead raise phase which led to a crappy snatch. Clean and Jerk and drop under was something I knew.

I don't remember hands on coaching but that was probably because I wasn't part of the football team and it was just a broad spectrum weight class. Leg press and pulldowns highly discouraged. Super Squats and front squats. We did back squats but I'm not sure if I did to ground or proper form. Back extensions, curls, and bench press were in there somewhere but I don't remember deads or good mornings.

CF, Mike Burgener, and the videos and threads here have helped me understand the Oly lifts. Between HS and now, I had done gym workouts till between 3 and 5 years ago when I went more of a gymnastics route. I still used the basic movements to move around equipment or to do OHS or those basics with gym equipment as weights.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 AM   #6
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Alright Paul

I'm in the northeast also. It seems that CF is really growing in this area!! im in Gateshead north east. For me it has been a case of reading a lot of the posts and watching the videos. GTG with a PVC pipe for technique. There's a lot of usefull info on this site and like Blair said Mike burgener also.

We should get together at some point to train.

Leon.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:
Paul,

I bought the following 3 DVDs as recommended by the crossfit faq.

Dan John - From the Ground Up
World Class Coaching - Snatch
World Class Coaching - C&J

The world class coaching dvds are packed full of info and are very 'technical' to my novices eye.

The Dan John DVD, I thought was a little simplistic and I initially did not use it as a reference. (The engineer in me preferred the technical version).

However looking back on it, as I am still a novice I found that Dan Johns DVD is the way to go. Its so simple to understand.

Even then, I still learnt more in 1 hour with hands on coaching with crossfit central scotland than I ever could with the DVD, as the DVD cannot provide feedback.

My suggestion would be,

1. Drive to Scotland (www.crossfitcs.com) or Manchester ( www.crossfitmanchester.com ) and get some coaching first hand. The fuel cost will be less than the cost of the DVD and you will learn more.

2. If thats not possible, then buy the Dan John DVD as its very easy to follow, then video yourself with a camera phone and post it to the digital coaching board. This will give you some feedback.

I found that without good feedback, you don't really know if your doing it right.

Jerry

Old 12-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Ralph Coates

Profile:
contact the BWLA (British Weightlifting Assoc) and find a coach in your area. Worth the effort IMO.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
Karl Steadman

Profile:
I agree with all the suggestions so far and don't forget that Chris Kemp (AKA Kempie) is in Durham and oly lift conversant (to say the least). Failing that, you're more than welcome to visit me and Mark in sunny Manchester (yeah right!) and we'll help all we can. I am BWLA certified and Mark holds the USAW qual.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #10
Ian Carver

Profile:
I am much like the others here that have had some knowledge, but perfected it with A LOT of videos, articles, and slow, light practice. I should not say "perfected", as I am constantly learning and cleaning up issues here and there. I try and do some type of Oly lift work before or after each workout at a light weight to keep ina groove with the form and requirements of the exercise at hand. This simplistic, self-taught method has worked well for me, but the biggest results come from receiving one-on-one coaching from someone in the know. Even if it is once or twice a month, the benefits are huge. Sounds like you have a pretty strong contingent of CF'ers and Oly lift folks around you - tap into them as much as possible. Best of luck and stay fit!!