CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:
Re: Post WOD Supplement- WHICH ONE?!

Even though Results is not a "___" PWO drink. I use it mostly PWO with about 20g of BCAA+. Both products, also from AtLarge. I like the creatine, hmb and BA combo and of course getting slammed with a CrossFit + Westside just about destroys me daily so the BCAA's help as well.

- Nick
Old 08-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

Thanks Nick, I have used creatine and similiar products before, not a big fan personally.

I'm thinking I'm going to grab a tub of opticen+ , and maybe a small tub of Optimum Nutrition whey. I just saw a study that shows myofusion has 50% of the stated protein content. Although Gaspari came out with their own study saying it contains more than stated, I'm not sure what to think of that
Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Joseph Harbac

Profile:

free flowing bcaa's such as cytosport monster amino is great pre, intra, and post wod. also if your looking for a good quality whey, check out Muscle Sport International pxs wpi revolution. Ive seen some pretty good results from it.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

Just an FYI on the first batch of the new Opticen+. We used way too many thickeners and it thus mixes very thickly. I have resolved this for the next batch. In the interim (and what I am personally doing) I recommend 2 scoops in the prescribed amount of liquid and then 1 scoop serparately. The thickness is then reasonable. Then again, I have had people tell me they love the thickness... I think most will find it too thick. The next batch will be just right . Never let it be said I don't resolve concerns .
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Schnur View Post
Hey guys, I have always been a fan of the post WOD shake (usually ~30g whey + 1-2 cups milk). I decided I want to put on some muscle, and am looking for some advice on my new Post WOD supplementation. I am between:

A) 1-2 cups 2% milk + 1-2 scoops Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion protein + a Cliff bar...? http://www.gasparinutrition.com/prod...ion-probiotic/ (WFS)

B) 1/2 serving (2scoops) Beyond Yourself Nutrition Mass Gainer +water
http://beyondyourself.ca/products_massgainer.php (WFS)

I would be very greatful if someone with more nutritional knowledge than me could help me put together the most beneficial Post WOD shake/supplementation.

It dosnt have to be one of these, but this is just my starting point.

THANKS GUYS!!
Don't even consider the weight gainer if you are still thinking about it. Did you see the source of carbohydrates? Pure maltodextrin. Not really the greatest carbohydrate source out there.

While 1-2% milk doesn't have much fat, something to consider is that for post-workout fat isn't really ideal. Fat slows down digestion, and post-workout is not the time to slow down digestion for things like protein and carbs especially after grueling workouts that actually depleted glycogen and protein stores. Gaspari myofusion has been very popular in the past few years because it's an affordable tasty blend of protein, but the quality and the profile really isn't anything spectacular. You're much better off with simple whey protein, be it either isolate of concentrate depending on your budget and stomach in terms of handling lactose.

Someone mentioned 20g of BCAA's. I'm being nitpicky but 20g of BCAA's is a whole lot. If the product is properly following the longstanding 2:1:1 Ratio 10g l-leucine is a great amount but EAA's would be better post workout I think in terms of addressing limiting factor of amino acids.

Keep it simple post-workout. Fast acting protein in water, and if the workout was long and intense enough, add something like a banana or two and some good sources of fruit high in antioxidants. The high glycemic load will ensure quick delivery of glucose and the flood of antioxidants are only going to help as well.