CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
I have been following the paleodiet for over a year now, and have found that the results nothing to complain about. However, I read an article on Clarence Bass site and it seemed as if Loren Cordain was not of the opinion to complete strip whole grains from one's eating regimen. Robb Wolf could probably clarify using this link.

http://www.cbass.com/FAQ3.htm#Cut
Old 10-12-2004, 04:44 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I have to say I agree with the article. The big problem is displacement, in other words, you eat alot of grains and don't have the caloric space in your diet for fruit, vegs, and pro. Processed grains are high in calories, not that we're actually watching calories, but if your working within 2000 calories (an example), grains could fill up a large portion of that 2000, with very little bang for your buck (vit, minerals, etc). I eat low carb bread, whole wheat tortillas, and oatmeal.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gregory-

If you talk directly to Prof. Cordain I think he would push pretty hard to completely remove grains from the diet. Hi editor made the book a bit more readable and accessable but it does tone his stance down a bit.

I eat some corn (I love tacos!) and it seems ok. I can not handle any wheat, spelt, oats etc. due to celiac. I think it is a good idea for people to just see how they feel without the grains for a time. Quite frequently little GI disturbances and a few other issues clear up but you would never know this unless you cut them completely out for a time.

As an aside- I think whole grains and low fat dairy are a binky or something for Clarance Bass! That guy will defend high carb, low fat eating to his last day.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
Thanks for the input, Robb. I knew that you had some personal dealings with Prof. Cordain, or something to that extent. Like you, I am also a recovering vegeterian (2 years), yet still have my bouts as a doubting Thomas. BTW, does geographical origin lineage influence dietary preference? Mine is of Southeast Europe, and they do see legumes as especially salubrious as a dietary basis, claiming that they are "good for the blood". Just curious.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:57 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gregory-

There is some difference but it tends to be a time factor as opposed to absolute occurences.

If you come form and "indigenous" population whaich had no grain cultivation untill very recently you tend to develop these problems in the teens and 20's. N. europeans 40-50's and where agriculture had a longer foothold, central asia and the middle east a bit later than that....in general.

Keep in mind that this is using native,non-garain eating populations as a comparison, these people rarely if ever developed problems.

It is just something to tinker with. I LOVE Dal soups, Houmus...the stuff destroys me however! I have a head full of vegetarian meals and nothing to do with them!

Robb