CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Max Samuel

Profile:
Leaning with Strength Maintenance

Hey guys. I know this question has been discussed before but was just hoping I could get a little personalized insight to my situation. I'm 5'9 and have been trying to make big strength gains and have been doing well with GSLP. ive gone from ~150 to 163 thus farr and am making pretty good gains in squat and bench--235 and 175 respectively for that last 5+ rep set, which is pretty decent for a skinny guy like me. i have two questions:
1. is there a level at which I am likely to plateau as a pretty skinny-built guy? Ive already done one reset on the squat and am definitely approaching a second.
2. What is the best way to lean out without losing my strength? I have been eating like a machine to gain the weight and strength but don't want to lose it when I want to try and cut down.
Finally, I am fully aware that it kills my nutritional planning but I booze regularly and fairly heavily on weekends. I know that it can destroy progress, but is there anyway to mitigate problems associated with alcohol? As in, not lifting the day of/after drinking, only running and not doing heavy lifts on those days, etc. I really don't know much about how alcohol specifically affects progress, only that it sucks in general. Thanks!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Leaning with Strength Maintenance

What is your current bodyfat? If you are worried about getting too fat, don't let yourself get over 15% bodyfat by reducing your intake.

I don't drink, so I can't help with the other part.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Leaning with Strength Maintenance

At 5'9" and 163lbs how much fat could you really need to lose? My guess is that you just need to keep adding strength and lean mass in place of fat, which means trying to cut calories to lean out will likely backfire on you.

As for alcohol....it dehydrates you, screws up your sleep, provides lots of crappy calories which hurt efforts to get lean, greatly reduces protein synthesis, and gives you hangovers that leave you weaker in the gym the next day, among other things. The best way to mitigate problems with alcohol is to drink less, there's really no way around it.