CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Max Samuel

Profile:
Is My Fish Oil Safe?

Hey guys,
I know there are a lot of repetitive posts about fish oil here but I just had one regarding safety. I'm taking GNC 1000 Fish oil and am wondering if it's safe considering its 300 mg of omega-3s make me take around 12-13 capsules a day. Although the capsules are checked for lead/mercury/cadmium and purity by an "independent laboratory certified by the FDA," they are made in China. And we all know about the quality of goods, let alone pills, made in China. Thoughts?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Is My Fish Oil Safe?

If worried, switch. Lots of good products out there.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

If they are checked in a legit lab they should be fine. Not everything made in China is bad... I DO think anything supplement related sourced from there should be checked independently, but I have to think GNC would be good about that?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Brian O'Laughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Samuel View Post
Hey guys,
I know there are a lot of repetitive posts about fish oil here but I just had one regarding safety. I'm taking GNC 1000 Fish oil and am wondering if it's safe considering its 300 mg of omega-3s make me take around 12-13 capsules a day. Although the capsules are checked for lead/mercury/cadmium and purity by an "independent laboratory certified by the FDA," they are made in China. And we all know about the quality of goods, let alone pills, made in China. Thoughts?

Looking at the label:

Total Fat 1.30 g
Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 300.00 mg

FWIW, Barry Sears said you want at least 60% omega-3. It's sort of a rule-of-thumb measure of purity.

It's also nice to get the EPA/DHA breakdown.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

They certify their products to be free of detectable levels of mercury. However, I still would recommend you choose Carlson's liquid fish oil as you get 1-1.5 grams of fish oil per teaspoon(You would have to take 5 gnc capsules to equal that amount).
Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Vishal Vora

Profile:

Is there a particular brand of fish oil and multivitamins someone can recommend... ?

something i can find at a neighborhood trader joe's or wholefoods would be ideal. and how much am i suppose to consume every day ?

i m 5'6...148 pounds.. CFing for just over 2 months now.. but not really doing any type of supplements...for now i m just trying to eat healthy ..cut out dairy, bread, grains, sugars...etc... still wip..

-Vishal
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Do you have a Costco nearby? Their Kirkland brand (clear bottle) has about 680mg of EPA/DHA per pill and is priced pretty well. 3-5 of those per day would be enough for most people unless they've got serious metabolic issues. Whole Foods has high quality stuff like Carlson's and Nordic Naturals but unless you've got money to burn I don't think they're that much better than Kirkland, not enough to justify paying 2-3x as much.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Christen Holloway

Profile:

I have used Perricone MD Omega 3, they claim this about their product:

"This superstar of supplements is derived from Wild Sockeye Salmon, a fish oil that is the purest and most powerful resource of Omega 3 and DMAE."

It sounds healthy anyway, and it will make your hair real shiny.

Last edited by Christen Holloway; 08-23-2011 at 09:16 PM..
Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Vishal Vora

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Do you have a Costco nearby? Their Kirkland brand (clear bottle) has about 680mg of EPA/DHA per pill and is priced pretty well. 3-5 of those per day would be enough for most people unless they've got serious metabolic issues. Whole Foods has high quality stuff like Carlson's and Nordic Naturals but unless you've got money to burn I don't think they're that much better than Kirkland, not enough to justify paying 2-3x as much.
Carlson's seems to be much cheaper, if u buy from amazon.. or is that still expensive ?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Zach S

Profile:

Drop the fish oil if you are about keeping it natural. Its severally overhyped.