CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Max Samuel

Profile:
Shoulder Injury-Demoralized and Seeking Guidance

I injured my shoulder about a month ago and am looking for a little guidance; 1 on the diagnosis and 2 on the best steps moving forward to get healthy and minimize strength loss. It is a minor injury that I rarely notice during the day and is only aggravated by certain motions; hanging for pullups, throwing, some minor pain when doing arm curls. I feel the pain mostly on the top of my shoulder, and curiously have little to no pain benching, doing pushups...strict chest-targeting exercises. Anyone know what this is, and what best treatment options are? How long I need to rest?

Also wondering what is the best way to minimize strength loss while I am waiting to recover as I just made a lot of progress with strength gains and am pretty demoralized that I am about to get weak resting. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Gravel Brown

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Injury-Demoralized and Seeking Guidance

Hi Max,

I had a shoulder reconstruction 15 months ago so can give you a few ideas of things to try to ease some pain etc.

My injury sounds different to yours as bench and pushups were the only exercises that actually caused me pain with my tear. I could do everything else but any pushing movements had me in the hurt locker.

Things to try:

Glucosamine with fish oil: i now take these every night before bed and IMO they make a huge different to joint mobility and pain. They work hand in hand with each other. Make sure you buy quality (1 tablet per day) ones and give em a go. I swear by them.

Anti inflamm meds: yeah some people hate them but i use them when im sore and they work.

Ice: definitely helped me keep inflammation down both pre-op and also after my op. Whenever it hurt i iced and it bought everything back to somewhat normal.

Heat rubs: yeah lots of people say these are crap and do nothing but i always use them when im sore and i find that they help. I especially use them pre-workout to get everything nice and warm. It may be a placebo effect but whatever works.

Check out the K-Starr mobility WODS on Youtube. I got specific benefits out of using a lacrosse ball and rolling it in between my shoulder blades. Does wonders for your shoulders. I also roll out a lot using a foam roller.

Hopefully that helps mate. If your shoulder is torn youre probably always gonna feel some sort of pain unless you get surgery. If its not torn then the above should help.

If it continues to hurt see a doc for an opinion re MRI etc.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Samuel View Post
I injured my shoulder about a month ago and am looking for a little guidance; 1 on the diagnosis and 2 on the best steps moving forward to get healthy and minimize strength loss. It is a minor injury that I rarely notice during the day and is only aggravated by certain motions; hanging for pullups, throwing, some minor pain when doing arm curls. I feel the pain mostly on the top of my shoulder, and curiously have little to no pain benching, doing pushups...strict chest-targeting exercises. Anyone know what this is, and what best treatment options are? How long I need to rest?

Also wondering what is the best way to minimize strength loss while I am waiting to recover as I just made a lot of progress with strength gains and am pretty demoralized that I am about to get weak resting. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
First, its not minor if you've had it for a month.

Second, while I would recommend getting it evaluated, if you want my 2c;
If you have full range of motion of the shoulder, T-spine and C-spine, it's more likely to be a probably with stability of the scapula. Exercises for that would include farmers walks, ring rows, wall slides, scapular push-ups, reverse dips, etc. These would benefit you IF the problem is your stability. If you do not have proper mobility of the areas I mentioned, then working on that would be the direction I would go first.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Samuel View Post

when you throw something does it hurt on the wind up or follow through?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Max Samuel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
when you throw something does it hurt on the wind up or follow through?
thanks for the feedback guys! definitely on the follow through
Old 11-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

can be lots of things, SLAP tear can you give pain on follow through of throwing. Go see someone, Sean Rockett
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Ken Jackson

Profile:

Max, I had roughly the same issues. My arm was fine until I made one hard throw, then I was done for the night. Results were, R/C tear, biceps tendinosis, and a slap tear with 5 anchors. Wind up was fine, but the follow through was terribly painful. I would definitely have an MRI to see what's going on in there. I'm 9 months recovered from slap surgery but, I am going in for another MRI on the other shoulder as it hurts just like the repaired shoulder did before surgery. Good luck man, hope it turns out well for you.