CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Robert Dobo

Profile:
What is the best way to ease into doing the WOD's, right now these things will humble me quite a bit and I am recovering from a shoulder injury but I am interested in tackling WOD's as soon as my should has some strength back in it. I just need a beginners level to get into shhape for them.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
As I've learned, and as most will tell you here, just be humble and scale back as much as you really need. For example, for the metcon workouts, I'll often scale something (load, reps, rounds [though not as often rounds]) back by half. So, let's say Im doing 3 rounds of 50 sit ups, 50 back extensions and an 800 meter run, I'd divide the number of reps and the distance by half, so it'd be 25 SUs 25 BEs and a 400 meter run. As time goes on, just gradually take less reps/weight/rounds off of your WOs. This has worked so far for me. I also enjoy doing a 5x5 or some sort of ME lift day on the 2nd day out of a 3/1 work schedual due to it helps me recover from the met con workouts sooner.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Josh's way seems to be a standard way to ease in (I say standard because I did that too). I'd also recommend starting with the warm-up,...it was very humbling to realize that my half-WODs were really only about 1/3 of the workout that most were doing, given that they were incorporating the CF warm-up into their routine, plus completing the full WOD.

Take care of that shoulder.

Aush
Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Forgot about that warm up. I also started with just one round of the warm up and am just now doing the 3 rounds (actually I'm doing it more like 3 sets of X reps of each exercise instead of rounds). The warm up is generally more intense than most people's workouts.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Starting.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Robert:

Visit brandxmartialarts.com and look for the scaled versions of the WOD. Jeff Martin and his crew are a super resource.